Monday, April 10, 2023

Weekly update: Easter, a finish, and some purple

 Sunshine this weekend meant two good walks.  

Grant Woods 

The pine trees in rows are remainders of a tree farm.


Lots of beaver activity at Sand Pond.  The fire lane is under water (very effective!) most likely because of beaver dams on adjacent streams. Ukrainians wave pussy willows rather than palms at Palm Sunday, I learned from a Chicago Tribune article about Ukrainian refugees in Chicago.  




Easter dinner at home:  vintage tablecloth,  vintage Fiesta, and vintage husband.    Roast lamb, new potatoes, and asparagus with pear/blue cheese/spinach salad and cheesecake for dessert.


# # # # #






In the studio:  To the Nines is finished! I used the serpentine stitch and walking foot to quilt along the seamlines.   

 


The back uses a thrift-shop sheet (big print on the bottom) and quilting cotton.  







My Rainbow Scrap Challenge projects this year are turning out to respond to "what's in the box?"  In this case, a lot of purple triangles.  


Back in 2015 the guild had a  workshop with Mary Fons for which participants cut equilateral triangles.   I chose purple-on-purple and I wasn't happy with the class sample.  I put all the triangles into a bag.  A couple of years later I cut black-and-white equilateral triangles that lightened the purples nicely (resulting quilt here).  The leftovers went back into a bag in that box.  



I finished one placemat and have three others pieced.   There are a few more purple triangles....can I use them all?  

Linking up with Design Wall Monday

RSC at So Scrappy

Oh Scrap!







7 comments:

  1. Your vintage husband looked pretty happy with the Easter set up. To the Nines turned out beautifully, love all those colors. Happy stitching this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent use of those triangles. They would make a great little doll quilt too. Yummy looking Easter dinner, and it sure looks like your "vintage" husband was enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vintage husband haha!! I usually eat my breakfast while reading blogs, and I might have choked at that!! Love it!!! Your walks look amazing!~!! and a big WOW on to the nines!!! I LOVE it!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have similar vintage items around here too. Good choice on using your equilateral purples. You'll have them done in no time at all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Vintage husband - love it! I have one, too! Your walks looked lovely, and so is To the Nines. Love the triangle placemats, too - they went together nicely!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Delightful PURPLE placemats, Nann, and a fun setting for that 9-Patch quilt, too!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like that purple project!! (vintage husband - too funny - I have one of those, too). Quiltdivajulie

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.