Friday, April 7, 2023

Friday check in: blogging friends and a workshop

 The Northern Lake County Quilters Guild hosted Lynn Dykstra who is familiar to many quiltmakers from her blog Klein Meisje Quilts.  Lynn presented a trunk show at the Wednesday evening meeting and gave a workshop on Thursday.   

I've admired Lynn's work since I began reading her blog way back when she and Bonnie Hunter were among the "Quilt Mavericks."  




Two members of the McHenry County quilt guild came to sell tickets for their annual raffle.  One of them was Sue Daurio, who blogs at Sue Daurio's Quilting Adventures.  We've been meaning to meet up for several years.      

Their raffle quilt is a collaborative Dear Jane.  In the photo we're pointing to one of the blocks that Sue made.

Horizon and Ladder 
At the Thursday workshop Lynn gave us the choice of two designs,  Horizon and Ladder. She offers all her patterns on her website, no charge -- so why attend a workshop?  (Other than the pleasure of her company, that is.)   I appreciated her insights about fabric selection and design.  She likes to combine solids and prints in blocks.   She mixes genres--prints, plaids, batiks.  In one quilt there will be blocks with high contrast, complementary, and analogous colors; low volume and high volume prints.  And everything works!   If you use one of her patterns pay attention to the pressing instructions because they're very helpful. 


With our day's output


Back home:  the 5 x 9 blocks are on the design wall.   I'm aiming for seven rows of ten.



 


13 comments:

  1. Wow what fun...great ideas and quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I met Lynn back in 1995 when she was a young quilter. She has blossomed into an amazing quilt artist with her many print and solids quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH, what fun that would have been to see her quilts live and up close (I like how they were laid out on the floor for closer inspection). Lynn does the most amazing scrappy work and she is so generous to share her process on the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That Anonymous comment was me - Quiltdivajulie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have followed Lynn's blog and made many of her "solids" quilts. The most fun one was the Zipper quilt- what cray fabrics went into it! Thank you for sharing, and enjoy sewing your new quilt! Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh to have joined you there for such a fun day! I’m such a Lynn fan (and a Nann Fann too, come to think of it!). xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness! I love Lynn's quilts and have made several of her patterns she so generously shares. I made several Horizon block quilts for kids but I haven't made a Ladder quilt yet.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very fun! Love the start you got in class. I'll have to check out Lynn's patterns, she not someone I'm familiar with.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've always loved Lynn's quilts, Nann. Lucky you, getting to see them in person AND take a class with her, too! Thanks for sharing the photos from your guild meeting. Colorful eye candy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That would be fun to meet Lynn. I have admired her quilts for a long time too. The photos are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like you have had some amazing adventures!!! I have seen Sues quilting - and oh lala!! it is amazing!!! What fun to hang out with her!!!
    And your workshop - sounds like an inspiring time - I always love to listen as to why people match what they do - its fun to be inspired that way!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nann! It was so much fun to do this lecture and workshop--thank you for connecting me with your guild!

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.