Monday, December 12, 2022

Weekly update: the social whirl, Blue Heaven, and a burst of flimsies

Holiday gatherings this week were great fun.


Tuesday noon:  I was co-hostess for the Zion Woman's Club luncheon and used my vintage tablecloths on each table. In lieu of a white elephant gift exchange we each packaged "festive food."  (I gave a gift box of Penzey's spices and received four different kinds of treats from Trader Joe's.)    We collected hats and mittens for kids at Elmwood  School in Zion. 


Tuesday evening:  my P.E.O. chapter had dinner at a great Italian restaurant.   There was another festive food exchange.  (I gave Penzey's, again, and got a trio of red pepper spreads and jelly.)   Sisters brought gift cards (Target, etc.) that I will give to Our Shining Stars, an agency that helps under-resourced families and senior citizens. 

Wednesday evening:  quilt guild holiday dinner.  The boxed dinners were catered but members brought desserts.  There's a fat quarter exchange, a grab bag gift swap, and an ornament exchange.  Santa Claus made a surprise visit .



Friday afternoon:   I was a guest for the holiday dessert party given by P.E.O. chapters AP and HS (both based in Waukegan).  I know many (most!) of these sisters. Jane from HS played the hammered dulcimer and we sang carols.   I took a photo of the group with one phone and then took a selfie with them for myself.

Saturday noon:   AAUW luncheon.  The silent auction is a fundraising tradition ($345 this year).   I brought more stuff than I bought!   This is the 20th year I've made a holiday-themed quilt to raffle ($245 raised).   Joanne and Janice bought tickets including one for their daughter-in-law/sister-in-law Michelle who couldn't attend.   Michelle won!  She had major surgery this fall and I hope the quilt will provide cheer and comfort.   (Joanne won the state convention quilt back in 2003 and Janice won  the holiday quilt in 2017  

Sunday afternoon:  I joined my ZWC friends for the Kenosha Women's Club holiday tea.  Jessica Michna gave a very informative portrayal of Mrs. Charles Dickens.   KWC was chartered in 1891 and has  owned a clubhouse in downtown Kenosha since 1922.   This was the first time I'd been inside. 

# # # # # 

In the studio:




Blue Heaven is a flimsy!  9-1/2 yards by weight.   








 

The scraps have been sewn into HSTs, all trimmed and pressed.


At the guild meeting Wednesday the charity committee chairmen had kits for wheelchair quilts for residents of the area nursing home we've partnered with.   They emphasized that the kits are only a suggestion and we are welcome to use all or part of the kits.  Simple piecing is fine; the quilts will be washed often.   Of course I cannot resist free fabric. I took several kits -- 20 yards by weight -- and the ideas started flowing.   

Wheelchair-size is 36 x 48 or thereabouts, big enough to cover lap and legs but not too big to get caught in the wheels.   I opened the Parts and Orphans boxes.   Here's the result as of Sunday evening. When most of the blocks are already made the setting and assembly go quickly.

I had units (49-patch and 21-patch) left over from Growing Up Odd .

 


I had to make a few more gray 16ps and a couple of red pinwheels.  (Left overs from this project.)

The green and blue Yankee puzzle blocks were made right after I finished the wedding quilt in 2020.  

And as I type this there are more orphan blocks on the design wall. 

Each of these is approx. 2 yards (by weight).  I want to make 10 tops to account for the 20 yards in the kits.   I plan to have them all quilted for our next in-person guild meeting.  That's not until March because we are Zooming in January and February.

Linking up with Oh Scrap! and Design Wall Monday 

P.S. The lake plain at Illinois Beach State Park on Thursday. 






 It won't be long until gravity takes down the beaver-chewed tree.









 

6 comments:

  1. I need a nap after reading about all of your fun!!
    My Blue HEaven is GORGEOUS!!
    and what fun you are having making those lap quilts - they will be loved!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - lots of pretty flimsies!!! You've really been busy. I like how you used those flying geese in vertical rows.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow , a busy time, lots of fun and such an abundance of beautiful quilts!! I love December time. It is busy and we get to see so many of our friends. Have a great week !

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is an amazing amount of quilt tops accomplished in a short time, especially with all the partying going on! You lead a very busy happy life!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, gosh! Your parties had more people than I ever meet up with in a year! Oh how different are the lives of social butterflies and hermits! .
    Blue Heaven is heavenly and I love what you've done for wheelchair quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your wheelchair quilts are great! A good use of leftovers. I really liked the flying geese raffle quilt. What size are the geese?

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.