Friday, July 17, 2020

Friday report: it's a flimsy (and the consequences of miscounting)

7/26: Linking up with Elm Street Quilts OMG finish here

Hooray!  The wedding quilt is assembled!

It's BIG -- 96 x 96.  12-1/2 yards by weight.

The border closeup I posted on Monday showed the flying geese framed by a strip of gray-on-white. I didn't think that all-the-same inner and outer borders played well with the varied backgrounds of the blocks and of the geese.





I cut many, many gray/white strips and pieced them into 5's. (Why 5's and not 6's? No reason.) I sewed two 5's together and then sewed those units in long strips.  It was easier and more accurate to make units rather than make long, long, long strips of squares and sew those strips in pairs.
          The squares are 1-3/4" so the strips are 3" unfinished/2.5" finished.

I put the green geese on the inside because it seemed that the greens are somewhat lighter. The darker blue pulls the view outward.

I added an all-the-same final border for stability.

It turns out I miscalculated the number of flying geese I needed for the border.  I made twice as many! 

Some will go into the quilt back.  I'm already thinking about Yankee Puzzle blocks to use the rest of them.

Linking up with Alycia's Finished or Not Friday
and Sarah's Can I Get a Whoop Whoop?

23 comments:

  1. The gray squares in the border add a little sparkle. Great solution.

    ReplyDelete
  2. gosh nann that is so beautiful...makes me think about getting married...(only briefly tho...LOL)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So gorgeous! What a nice lagniappe--a bonus of flying geese from which to draw when next you need them.

    I too like the subtle play of values the grays bring.

    (Wondering what games/hoops the reCAPTCHA will make me go through today to post this),

    C

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is a lot of work as well as a lot of yardage in that quilt. It turned out great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's fantastic! What a work of art! Love the color mixtures, so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow that's amazing! SO many pieces and so huge!
    A true labour of love!
    It just sparkles!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fabulous quilt, Nann! I really like what you did for the border. Don't you just love it when you make the kind of math error that yields a fun pieced quilt back or an entirely different quilt? It happens. :o))

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just a fabulous finish...a beautiful quilt--I am sure it will be cherished...hugs from afar Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! A lot of stitching involved which created a beautiful quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fantastic! What a wonderful wedding gift.

    I was going to throw some of my old Goose in the Pond blocks in the orphan pile rather than carry on with them but now I think I'm inspired to carry on someday.

    Yankee Puzzle sounds like a good idea for leftovers. I've never made one of those.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That quilt is magnificent! The triangle border is simply perfect. Gosh, I love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a magnificent quilt top! You outdid yourself on this one, Nann. You do realize that with this quilt on the bed, the newlyweds will never want to leave it! Hehehe...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great colors! What a pretty quilt for a lucky couple!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your quilt top is spectacular! (And better you than me with all those pieces!)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful Wedding Quilt. Sure to become a family heirloom!
    congratulations

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gorgeous finish! The different grays really make that border sparkle as you look across the quilt. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful! Congrats on your finish and thanks for being part of One Monthly Goal.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, that's an impressive quilt. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Super finish! Congratulations it s a beautiful quilt.

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.