Monday, April 29, 2019

Weekly update: Louella, snow, and under the needle and on the wall

The Waukegan Woman's Club spring luncheon was Saturday. Louella Parsons told us about the Golden Age of Hollywood.  (Actor Martina Mathisen portrayed Sacajawea at our AAUW meeting in November. She is versatile!)  It was nice to see friends from GFWC, AAUW, and P.E.O. among the 90+ attendees.

Right:
Marilyn and I are wearing two of the many hats that Louella/Martina brought for the audience to wear.







We woke up to snow on Sunday!

Our Sunday church service was bittersweet:  the last service in the Winthrop Harbor UMC church building.  The congregation is merging with Living Faith UMC in Waukegan.  It's a matter of membership and money. We share a 3/4 time pastor. The 90-year-old WH church building and its 65-year-old parsonage are boxes of deferred maintenance. Living Faith has a much newer building (with an elevator! in contrast to WH's crotchety stair lift chair).

Rev. Sally Dyck, bishop of the Northern Illinois Conference, formally deconsecrated the building. (It's been sold to the people who own the other half of the block (former elementary school).)





# # # # # # #
In the studio:

I'm 3/4 finished quilting Crown of Thorns. The photo shows it just after I completed basting it.
[Why do we call it basting? That's something to investigate.]


On the design wall:  scrappy batik blocks. Each has a common strip (black with bright polka dots). They're 9-1/2" because that's the size of the ruler I've used to square them up.

I don't have an immediate use for them -- it's just fun to put the scraps together.

Monday link ups:
Oh Scrap!
DWM
Monday Making
Moving It Forward

8 comments:

  1. From the Old French "bastir": construct, or sew up. This, according to Vocabulary.com.

    What fun those scrappy squares are! The common strip makes all the difference to my eyes--they have a place to land as they move from one square to another.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow beautiful quilt and blocks nann...and snow? eeewwwww....70s and 80s all week here...so in love with MD weather! are you heading to maine this summer at all?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love those scrappy batik blocks. Thanks for sharing with Moving it Forward.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fun hats! I always wondered where women stored these hats in the days of small closets and no double garages! Of course, we are totally gypped out here on the west coast, no attics or basements in most houses. Love your scrappy blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I really like your scrappy blocks! Great idea to keep a black through out!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, bittersweet that your church is merging. It's good to have another church to combine with but sad they are losing membership. My week goes much better when I attend services plus church gives me ways to help our community.
    Your club programs always sound interesting. What fun to try on hats!
    You have moved quickly on Crown of Thorns. It will be finished soon. It's one of my favorite older blocks so I look forward to a good photo when it's bound.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your Crown quilt! That's a shame about your small church merging with another small one. I hear that happening more & more. And then I see the mega-Churches popping up all over! One of life's little questions, I suppose

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love Sally Dyck! We had her here in MN before you got her. Wish she could have STAYED here, but then her joy would not have been shared around the country. Merging churches is hard. Hope it goes well. Now we wait to see what happens to the UMC after the recent voting turmoil. I will not stay with the UMC if it keeps those awful stipulations; it is very hard for me to say that, but I had to come to terms with it. I grew up a PK and Methodism runs in my veins, but I'm prepared to go wherever inclusivity goes. Interesting times, these.

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.