Monday, November 19, 2018

Weekly update: a new flimsy

 Sacajawea came to our AAUW meeting on Tuesday evening.  Dolley Madison visited the library on Saturday afternoon.  Both presentations were very interesting.  (My first encounter with both women was reading their biographies in the Childhood of Famous Americans series.)

Left: Martina Mathisen. Right: Debra Anne Miller . Check their websites for other historical portrayals.

# # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # #


Last week I posted a photo of 30 blocks and said that I would make 42 for a 6 x 7 setting.   I made 33 and contemplating setting them. I realized that the busy blocks would blend too much unless they were sashed, but sashing a 6 x 7 setting would make a pretty big quilt. So I chose 30 of the 33 blocks and  contemplated sashing. Plain strips would be dull.  I remembered a design from long ago and found the book (copyright 2000). This cover quilt has 12" blocks  and 3" x 12" sashes (3" cornerstones). My blocks are 10" so I drafted my own curvy pattern.  I adapted the scrappy cornerstones from the cover quilt.   
         The flimsy is 70 x 80 and used 7 yards (by weight).










Here's how I made the pattern.
 Overlap two strips slightly.






Cut a gentle curve through both layers. The bits on the right are the cutaway.



Make a cardboard template the same as the sample pieces.










Sample pieces sewn together.   I trimmed the units to 10.5 x 3".








Here are the blocks for the Temecula Secret Santa






A local quilter posted that she had to destash to help pay the household bills. I paid $2.50/yard for all of this. (Kona Bay and other designer prints, and enough white-on-white to last me for a long, long time.)

Though it's an "off" week (only one meeting!) and we will have Thanksgiving dinner with friends here in town, there's lots to do. Hope your holiday preparations are coming along well.

Monday link ups:
Design Wall Monday
Oh Scrap
Monday Making
Moving It Forward

9 comments:

  1. oh nann...more gorgeous quilts and the temecula blocks are beautiful...wish i could have done it but hacking away at UFOs....nice fabric haul too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You had another very full week! I love your sashing and would love to try that. I need to get my book out. Love the Temecula Secret Santa blocks. There's something about little 9 patches! Sad your quilter is selling her stash but glad you were able to help her out. Enjoy your off week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Note to self: when you're out of regular coffee, Self, grind some more! Sipping my morning cup of 1/2-caff (what was available), and my first thought when opening this post was that it would have something to do with The Wizard of Oz.

    Then I started reading. Well, THAT makes a LOT more sense!

    Love those borders. I know I've seen that idea before, but there are so many ideas floating around in here and out there that it's nice to be reminded.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the color pops in a sea of black and white. OMG, the curved piecing makes it totally ahmazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing this great sashing tutorial with Oh Scrap! It looks great around your blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. your log cabin quilt with the pops of color looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on a beautiful finish! You found a wonderful sashing solution. Have a very happy Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! I'm still trying to wrap my mind around cutting out all those tiny rectangles for Secret Santa SAL! Great job and inspirational for me. I'm off to find my cutting mat & rotary cutter! Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really love your curved lattice. It makes such an interesting change, and as you realized, made for a better arrangement. Thanks for your thought process. I had to look up how to make it. Thanks for the challenge.

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.