Wednesday, May 1, 2019

Midweek: a new month, a finish, stash report, and a clean slate

Tra la, it's May, the lusty Month of May
That lovely month when everyone goes blissfully astray
Tra la, it's here, that shocking time of year
When tons of wicked little thoughts merrily appear

My sister put the LP of Camelot on the record player to usher in the month with her favorite singer.  (She may have done that only once, but I remember it 50 years later!)

Now that I remember to say "Rabbit, rabbit!" the first thing on the first day, I imagine bunnies hopping around the Arthurian court.






Tra la!   
 I finished Crown of Thorns yesterday.  It's 81 x 81.  The floral print on the back was one of the gifts or bargains from last year.  The piece was 4+ yards--my guess is that it was purchased to be used for a One Block Wonder or Stack 'n' Whack.  

I thought I would use 3.5" neutral squares for the sashing. Instead I cut many 2" strips and made many, many four-patches.  They add a subtle sparkle to the bright batiks.  

The column of HST pinwheels on the back was so that I didn't have to try to line up the print. (I think about "drop match" when hanging wallpaper.) 


There are now 190 batik/neutral HSTs in the box and a bunch of them ready to sew.  



Stash report for April
Fabric OUT:  36-3/4 yards
Fabric IN:  43-5/8 yards, $96 ($2.19/yd)

Year to date: 
Fabric OUT:  176 yards
Fabric IN:  139-1/8 yards, $470 ($3.38/yd)

Net decrease:  34-7/8

I can wipe the slate clean.  All the to-do projects are finished.

And now I can start a new list, starting with the May OMG.  
           Two mug rugs that will go into gift baskets for 
           the outgoing AAUW branch officers.   The 
           meeting is May 14. I can do it!

Linking up with OMG May at Elm Street Quilts
and Midweek Makers at Quilt Fabrication.  


Tra la!




8 comments:

  1. Your Crown absolutely sparkles! Great finish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your scrappy "Crown of Thorns"; it's very light and fresh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Crown of Thorns is so beautiful! Love how the variety of background fabrics make the quilt sparkle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Nann! Oh your CoT quilts is really fabulous. I just love the four-patch idea with similar low value neutrals, and also how you got around matching the prints on the backing with the pinwheels. Good thinking! I wonder what you're going to do with those 190 HSTs?! WOWEE. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  5. Crown of Thorns is lovely and with the perfect backing too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, yes. Cutting the neutrals into four-patches makes the whole quilt twinkle. Very effective. Kudos to you.
    Tra-la. I remember dancing around the den with my sisters while Camelot (and every other classic musical) played on the stereo. What fun that was.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and good luck with your project.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Crown of Thorns turned out beautifully (front and back). Congrats on the stash busting, that's pretty awesome. Good luck on your May OMG.

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.