Sunday, January 13, 2019

Weekly update: Mis-Fortune?, RSC red, and something new!



 Rip, rip, rip.  I wrote last week that I sewed half the red/orange blocks the wrong way around. But in this case half was better than all. I ripped, pressed, and resewed.
I attached Border #1.  
I attached two of Border #2.  
I discovered that Border #1 was upside down. 
I ripped one of Border #2 -- and then I found out that only one of Border #1 was upside down; the other three were okay. But the wrong Border #1 was *not* the one that I'd ripped apart from Border #2.  (Are you with me?) 
Then I sewed on the four Border #4.  They fit perfectly.  
Then I looked at the illustration.  I had forgotten Border #3. 
I ripped off all four Border #4.  I sewed on all four Border #3.  
Then I reattached Border #4.  All four sides are too short.   
I added inserts at the corners. I think they are clunky  but I was so fed up by then that I took the photo and folded up the flimsy.  I will fiddle with the border later on. I counted the square inches of all the units and calculate that the flimsy uses 7-3/4 yards in all.

Less frustrating and more productive sewing followed.

For the first three years that I played along with the Rainbow Scrap Challenge  I made the same block in each month's color on a white background. (See them here: 2017 Daisies2016 Crossroads2015 Log Cabin.)  Last year I got away from white backgrounds but stayed very scrappy with Chinese Puzzle -- each block had 34 different fabrics.  

For RSC 2019 I'm making things easier.  I will make pinwheels out of the monthly color and gray or taupe or off-white -- one pinwheel out of a different print for each day of the month.  The HSTs are 3.5" unfin and the pinwheels are 6.5" unfin.  I don't know how I'll set them but I will have fun making them.  (RSC is January-October, so I'll have 304 pinwheels. Enough for two quilts. Maybe three.)   

One of the Facebook quilting groups had a reference to a string block design by Teresa Rawson.  Here is the link: 
X Marks the Block
I had to try one.  And that led to all of these.

They are 9.5" unfin. and are foundation-free (no paper, no fabric).  I will make 48 for a 54" x 72" quilt.

The black strings use up six different black-with-white dots prints from my stash.

Weekly link ups:
RSC Scrap Happy Saturday
Quiltville Mystery Monday
Monday Making
Oh, Scrap!
Design Wall Monday
 Moving It Forward

16 comments:

  1. I am capable of ripping off the good border in the same way I'm capable of cutting off the piece that should be left long (mitred corners in particular). I'm glad it's not just me. Thank you for the string block, I'm always looking for something to eat into the scrap bin and the central bar will use those pesky smaller bits.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nann! That sounds so like me...LOL! Your quilt looks so very pretty. Super fun strings, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yes we have all been there done that with the ripper:( But it sure looked like you cruised along nicely after all that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I’d have gone with leaving off the third border when the fourth fit and called it a design decision! Love your strings! Must try something like that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had a similar experience last year with Bonnie's mystery. It sat for about 6 months and then was finished. Your color choices are beautiful. Fun string blocks, too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. sounds like my experience with bonnie's "orca bay" pattern....good that you persevered....and i am doing RSC this year and so far loving it! using bonnie's pattern "crayon box"...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have used Teresa's X Marks the Block several times and it is a real keeper of a pattern. SO MANY ways to use the idea and design. I like your plan for RSC19 - mine is much simpler this year, too. And as far as Mis-Fortune, I'd be tempted to create simple borders and call it a day. No one needs that much stress!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have X on my list for when I finish making the other string quilts I've started.

    I would not have persevered to the point you did with Misfortune. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I made an X marks the spot quilt from Teresa'a blog a few years ago as a donation quilt to Sarah Craig's H2H project. It makes a bright happy quilt. I didn't do Good Fortune this year, but downloaded the weekly directions. I like the center block combo, but will probably simplify the borders if I ever get around to it.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a frustrating finish to the mystery. Setting it in the time-out chair is the correct response.
    I've seen that X block before and think it would make a great scrap quilt. Once I build up the scrap bag again.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for info on that block. I keep planning on making some string blocks. This one is fun and different.

    ReplyDelete
  12. How frustrating about the borders! Your quilt does look lovely though.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your Good Fortune looks great, sorry you had so much bad luck with all the borders. At least it's mostly done now. Love the string block quilt too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It looks great! Glad you persevered!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my gosh!!! ALl the Quilty goodness in this post!! I want to try the X one now too!! LOVE your Mis-Fortune - it is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow! So many pinwheels! It will be fun when you're done, but to me that would be overwhelming to make so many. Wish I could be more stick-to-it-ive on big ideas like that.

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.