Print Friendly and PDF With Strings Attached: DWM: 17th finish + quilts sold

Sunday, May 26, 2013

DWM: 17th finish + quilts sold

 In December I went to an estate sale and bought, among other fabric, a log cabin UFO. I completed the last two cabins and considered several ways to set them. There was enough of the red print fabric to make just as many 3" 9-patch blocks as would fit.  The yellow plaid setting fabric and the borders came from my stash.  Here is how the 60 x 60 flimsy looked: 

Each time I thought about it, I realized I didn't like the straight furrows setting.  It was too strongly diagonal, emphasized by the strong contrast in the blocks.  

This week I un-stitched the blocks and rearranged them in a barn-raising setting.  I think it looks MUCH better.   I pieced a backing, basted it, and here is the finished result.  (The quilting is straight lines in the logs, continuous curves in the inner border, loop-and-vine in the middle border, parallel lines in the outer border.)   

This is my 17th finish for 2013.

 
  Chicago-area librarians have small exhibit each year shown in several area libraries.  Several of my quilts were in the most recent show.  A man who saw them at the Skokie Public Library offered to buy two!  I sold these:  Cubed Batiks ($50) and  Leftovers ($125)
The proceeds went into my savings account -- saving for a quilty day.
 
See what other quiltmakers are working on this Memorial Day weekend at Judy's Patchwork Times

4 comments:

  1. Lovey finish on your Barn Raising log cabin. I rally like the nine patch border....gives me ideas.
    Congrats on the sales!
    Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on the fine finish and the quilty booty from the sales! I admire your careful design decisions, thank you for sharing your thought processes here.
    I also truly appreciate the one close-up shot of the quilting and the fabrics, so that I can see what you've described in your text and understand what you are talking about, especially on the quilting. You do such lovely work, Nann!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a difference that made-lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The result is stunning. What an eye you have to make all the fabrics work in the right direction. Congrats on selling your work.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping to read my blog. I can't respond to every comment, but be assured that I appreciate each one.