Sunday, September 23, 2012

DWM: Challenge quilt

This year's guild challenge is "Tradition with a Twist."  The original block must be recognizable on the front of the quilt among the twisted version.   Maximum perimeter is 144".  My interpretation was just a wisp of a thought until late last week.  Since Saturday morning was taken up by the first session of the Zion-Benton Leadership Academy (which I am co-coordinating), the afternoon by a wedding, and the evening by the reception (for which occasion I made the second quilt shown here) that meant I spent Friday evening and a good part of Sunday in my studio. 

When I worked on the "disappearing" blocks for the guild's schoolhouse demonstration night in June I discovered that 3" nine-patches "disappear" nicely.  Just about any block looks terrific in batiks.  I combined both ideas.  I tried to keep the batik squares subtle. The nine-in-nine patch design should be evident at second glance.  It's just under 36 x 36.

(A couple of the blocks are oriented incorrectly, which I discovered after the quilt was assembled and basted.  I declare that a design element!)

The challenge reveal is October 3.

See what other quiltmakers have been working on at Judy's Patchwork Times .

5 comments:

  1. Oh, so pretty! I love batiks (never quite understand why everyone doesn't), and the nine-in-nine works great with them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Splendid! I only wish you will show a close-up photo of that sumptuous border fabric. It is just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love those Batiks... They really look nice together. I like how one or two of the light fabric is brighter and give a punch to the quilt. Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE this, Nann..my kind of color play and all..great job and great fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely! You're right, batiks play well together. It's very interesting.

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.