Monday, March 4, 2024

Weekly update: stash report and OMG + reading

 


ZWC (Deb second from right)
The Lake County Women's Coalition honored Women Who Advocate for Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion at the annual Women's History Month luncheon on Saturday.  Each LCWC member organization is invited to nominate a woman who exemplifies the theme.  AAUW-Waukegan honored Katie Rinehart and GFWC Zion Woman's Club honored Deb Will, both of whom are long-time friends.   

AAUW (Katie seated) 
   


You can read about the other women honored at coalition website










Sharon Epps gave a stirring portrayal of Harriet Tubman.  

LCWC awarded four "returning to learning" scholarships for women enrolled at the College of Lake County.    

The scholarship fundraiser includes a bag raffle, a silent auction, and a split-the-pot cash raffle. 





I donated Borderlands, a quilt I made last year ( more info here ).  My good friend Steffi was the high bidder.  I won a necklace made by another friend, Helen, and $131 in cash!   

# # # # # #

Stash report for February:  
Fabric OUT  46-3/4 yards
Fabric IN  122.5 yards, $245, avg. $2.00/yard 
Year-to-date:
Fabric OUT 171-3/4 yards
Fabric IN  416-1/2 yards, $675, average $1.62/yard 
You will recall that most of the acquisition came from the ongoing estate sale (March will be Month 7).


Goals for March:
(a)   Quilt and bind the five flimsies I've made for the upcoming Villa Rosa Designs blog hop.  (I quilted #1 on Friday and am halfway finished with #2.)
(b)   Tidy up in the studio and then clean (dust and vacuum).
(c)    Start something new just for fun.

# # # # #

I've known about Doerr's novel since it was published in 2014 but only now have I read it.  It's as wonderful as reviewers and readers have said.  In brief:  in WWII Marie-Laure, a blind girl, and her father flee Paris to live with their reclusive uncle in coastal Saint-Malo.  Their story alternates with that of Werner, a German boy whose mechanical genius grants him special status in the Nazi war machine.   The courses of the two young people inevitably cross -- the suspense is so compelling! -- but rather than colliding and exploding they come together and then separate.  The ending is unexpected.    (I haven't begun to watch the Netflix series based on the book.)   




It is 1885. U. S. Grant is trying to complete his memoirs before throat cancer kills him.   He recalls episodes from his eventful life and career, not the least of which is the time that he met Julia Dent, the Missouri woman who has been the love of his life.   Her constant support has buoyed him through Army campaigns (the Mexican War as well as the Civil War), his civilian life as a farmer, his political career as a two-term president, and the financial disasters in the years that followed.    Jon Clinch writes just enough and not a word more in this perfectly-balanced portrait of a hero and his family.

9 comments:

  1. The Lake County Women's Coalition lunch sounds like a wonderful event! Congratulations on your wins, too. Good luck on finishing your Villa Rosa projects - it sounds like you're on the right track. I loved All the Light We Cannot See! It was our city's one book choice a few years ago and we were able to have Anthony Doerr come and speak at an author event. He was really interesting to listen to! (All authors are, aren't they?!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love Doerr's book. He resides here in Idaho.

    Happy Monday Nann. I often enjoy your book recommendations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kudos to you for participating in such worthy causes!! I’m concerned that DEI programs are under attack. IMHO the Netflix series of All The Light We Cannot See is not even close to as good as the book is and the ending is changed quite a bit. Probably worth watching, but be forewarned! (Gladi Porsche)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your women's lunch sound like a fun event! I look forward to seeing your post on the VR Blog Hop!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope you quilt did well at the auction. Your organization provides a lot of support, what a cool thing to be involved with. Your stash numbers are impressive. I don't know of anyone who does as well as you do at buying fabric with such discounts!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You certainly can't pass up an estate sale like that, such good prices!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Once again I find myself wowed by the amount of fabric you both use AND acquire. And thank you for the book reviews - I've heard of the first one, but not the other.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I tidied up my room (meaning putting odd things in boxes and bags) and vacuumed my room.....then I cleaned out my booth at the market. Loads of work to do in my room!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope your eyes are doing well now that it is long past the surgeries. Loved the book, All the Light We Cannot See. It is different from the movie, but much better. I put the other one on hold at the library, as my spouse is a history buff. We have been to Galena where he lived for some of his life. Good luck on all your quilting; five is a lot of quilts and you are such and eager beaver.

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.