Sunday, February 4, 2024

Weekly update: basting in progress + a terrific book

 


It's been much warmer than normal for early February but kitesurfing?  Brisk northwest winds kept these guys going at Illinois Beach State Park on Sunday afternoon. 





 I stayed on the trail. 


# # # # #






I auditioned all the vintage Cranston and Wamsutta prints in my stash in hopes of finding a "period" backing for the nine-patch quilt.  Nothing worked to my satisfaction. Though I'd be happy with a half dozen miscellaneous prints on the back I don't think that variety would be appreciated by the friend who commissioned it.  So I bought five yards of a small floral (white on yellow) (but 40% off!).  Basting in progress. 

(BTW, Stevens is able to negotiate the stairs now so we're in the studio for our TV evenings once again.)
 # # # # # #

If you've seen the Fairy Castle at the Museum of Science and Industry (I revisited it last June) you'll like this story.  If you haven't, the book will have you planning a trip to Chicago. (Let me know when you'll be here. <g>)

I first saw the exquisite Fairy Castle at MSI  on a field trip. I was seven or eight.  I've been to the museum many times in the decades since and I've made a point to go down to the lower level to revisit the Castle. I knew it was given to the museum by Colleen Moore and that she was a movie star, but I didn't know much more than that.

I do now thanks to Kathleen Rooney's wonderful new novel.   In the late 1960's Moore provided a narration for the Fairy Castle, explaining the elements in each of the rooms (1:12 scale).  [That recording is still used.]  Each chapter of the book begins with the MSI curator's interview and Moore's reply, which then leads to Moore's reminiscences of her acting career.   [Rooney recast Moore as "Doreen O'Dare," explaining that it's a novel, not a biography.]

Moore was wildly successful in 1920's Hollywood.  She had daringly bobbed hair, an ideal flapper figure, and heterochromia (one blue eye, one brown).  She was cast in westerns and romances.   Though she was friends with Mary Pickford, Lillian Gish, Marion Davies, and Hollywood journalist Adela Rogers St. Johns, she had strong ties to her family.  Her Chicago-based aunt and uncle gave her the connection that started her career and her beloved Irish grandmother and her parents moved to California with her.   She married a Hollywood studio executive and stuck with him as his alcoholism spiraled out of control.   She made a few talkies but retired from acting after her divorce.   

Photos from my visit last summer


She always collected miniatures and had several dollhouses over the years.   In the mid 1930's, without pressure to work, she planned and commissioned construction  of the Fairy Castle, a tribute to her Irish grandmother.   When it was finished she put it on tour at department stores across the country.  The admission fee was a dime for children and two dimes for adults with all proceeds to charities in each city where the Castle was displayed.  The tour raised thousands of dollars.   The tour ended as WWII began.  By then Moore was married (happily) to a Chicago financier and the Museum of Science and Industry accepted the gift.  

Have I given away the entire story?  Well, it's well worth reading for the story of a Hollywood pioneer who succeeded beyond the silver screen with a legacy that continues to enchant everyone who sees the Fairy Castle.

Linking up with Oh Scrap!   Sew and Tell  Design Wall Monday

9 comments:

  1. Kite surfing in February does seem pretty extreme! It does look like nice weather for your walk, though. Glad you're making progress on the commission quilt, too. That does sound like an interesting book - thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds like a great book....i can tell from your outerwear you're not ready for kite surfing...lol...and chicago? hmmm will have to ponder that...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear that Stevens is able to get up and down the stairs.
    I've always been fascinated by miniatures and I know I'd like to see that castle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you found a backing for the quilt. I had to look up the Fairy Castle, I'd never heard of it. Definitely something cool to check out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Smithsonian in Washington has (or had?) a wonderful dollhouse but they kept it so dark that it was hard to see details. Now I wonder if it is still there. You're on the trail walk looks more appealing than the kite surfing.

    Ceci

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm shocked you didn't have something appropriate for the 9 patch! Sometimes you just have to buy something very appropriate for the front. I didn't know people kite surfed. Learn something new every day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. From QDJulie - when we lived in IN, we took the boys to MSI several times and I revisited the Castle each trip (my first visit was an 8th grade field trip from SW Lower Michigan). And the best part? That book is part of Kindle Unlimited! I've already downloaded it - thanks for sharing it here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We love the Museum of Science and Industry and used to always go on the Free Day ( Thursday) . Such wonderful exhibits and interactions and even for the kids. I think I will have to go see the Fairy Castle.
    Two Bees Fabric has reproduction fabrics both the 1930s and 1860s at very good prices if you are in need of more fabrics. ( online store) Do you go to Pieceful Gartherings in Fox Grove. I found them online during Covid and love their style. And I have even visited them.
    Keep on hiking and quilting. It keeps YOU young.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I need to make time for reading. I can't even keep up with my one book a month for the book club I'm in at the public library!

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.