Sunday, February 11, 2024

Weekly update, part 1: museum, with quilts

Sandra and I have known one another for many years. We were both public library administrators in the suburbs.  Her late husband was a pastor-turned-librarian and my husband is a librarian-turned-pastor.  We had mutual friends in Fargo, too.  We realized that it had been about ten years since we'd gotten together.  When she wrote in her holiday card that she moved back to Chicago last summer  I responded with the suggestion that we meet at the Museum of Contemporary Art. There's a special exhibit of works by Faith Ringgold that closes at the end of February.  That was fine with Sandra and last Friday was the date.  

MCA is just east of the Water Tower in the Streeterville neighborhood on the lakefront.   I caught an earlier train and had time for a walk in the park adjacent to the museum.  It was another warmer-than-normal day with lots of sunshine. 



I first knew about Faith Ringgold because of her Caldecott Honor-winning picture book Tar Beach.   Much later I learned about her social activism through art and quiltmaking.  (In 2022 I went to this lecture online.)  





The MCA exhibit began with her paintings. 






Left:  a 'postage stamp' with Black Power going one way and -- if you tilt your head (or the picture) White Power is the white grid between the small pictures.  

Right:  upper left "die" and from bottom to top, sideways, N-word.




 



It continued with her fiber sculptures. 



Note that the paintings (acrylic on canvas) are framed with fabric.  





Storyboards from Tar Beach.




And, finally, the Story Quilts!    The  paintings are bordered with text -- painted or inked by hand.   They are "quilted" in large X's and framed by fabric (probably home dec).  I don't know if there's batting but I assume the backing is also fabric. (I wish I could have looked, but museum guards are not the same as white-glove helpers at quilt shows!)   They are all pretty big -- 5 x 6 feet, I'd say.

My pictures are just enough to give you an idea of the artistry, social commentary, and overall exuberance in each. 


Left: the white bands at top and bottom have the story. 


One of the captions.







This is my favorite.

Do you see Vincent van Gogh on the right?

The women are Harriet Tubman, Sojourner Truth, Fannie Lou Hamer, ?, ?, Rosa Parks, Mary McLeod Bethune, Ella Baker.








"The Sunflower Quilters of America."





My second-favorite. 




We had a delightful time catching up over lunch in the museum restaurant.  After perusing the selections in the museum store we said goodbye. I walked all the way back to the train station, got the 3:37, and pulled into the driveway at 5:00 on the nose.  

(Stevens and caregiver V had a great day, too.)


P.S. I met Faith Ringgold at the AAUW National Convention in 2015. 




7 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing the exhibit with us, Nann!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how wonderful that you actually met Faith Ringgold! I love her books, and used them for many lessons for my 5th graders. I knew she was a quilter, too. That looks like a great exhibit at the museum, and a nice day with your friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The exhibit alone was worth a visit, but to get to go with a long time friend, just gold. I'm not familiar with Faith Ringgold, so I need to do some homework on her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you had a lovely time that was made even better by seeing all the art.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an amazing exhibit! Thanks for sharing it with us!--TerryK@OnGoingProject

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish I had seen it! Tar Beach was a favorite of my daughter's.

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.