Thursday, June 29, 2023

#alaac2023 in Chicago, part 2

 I took advantage of free time + being downtown.

Thursday afternoon:    Van Gogh and the Avant-Garde: the Modern Landscape is this summer's big show at the Art Institute.  I'd heard of Van Gogh and Seurat, of course, but I was not familiar with their contemporaries Signac, Bernard, and Angrand.

From the website:  


Between 1882 and 1890, five artists—Vincent van Gogh, along with Georges Seurat, Paul Signac,   Emile Bernard, and Charles Angrand—flocked to villages on the fringes of Paris. Unlike the earlier Impressionists, who in the previous decade had spent significant time in suburban locations further from the city, this next generation of ambitious artists preferred the northwestern suburbs around Asnières. This area along the Seine River had long been a popular spot for recreation and relaxation but was becoming increasingly populated with coal, gas, and manufacturing facilities in the last decades of the 19th century. And while its industrial development was an unappealing aspect to many, these artists found in the changing physical and social landscape a fresh and rich source of creativity.


# # # # # #

On Sunday morning I took a cab south of downtown -- from 2300 south (McCormick) to 7000 south (about 7 miles) to Bryn Mawr Community Church.  That's the church my parents belonged to when they lived in the city and where I was baptized in December, 1952, when I was six months old. (We moved to the northern suburbs a year after that so I do not recall this church at all.)  
I introduced myself and was warmly welcomed.   There were about 40 people in worship, including some kids (nice to see!).  It was Congregational then, United Church of Christ now.  They operate a food pantry and a counseling center among other ministries.
The church is beautiful.  Built in 1915, it needs constant maintenance.   They don't build 'em like this any more!                         I am SO happy that I did this.  
# # # # #
Monday morning I went to the Museum of Science and Industry to see Pompeii: The Exhibition 
The emphasis was on everyday life in the city in 79 AD.  Several of the artifacts were "first time out of Italy."  There was a simulation (LOUD! with "smoke") of the volcanic blast.  
I also revisited some MSI favorites.  The Fairy Castle is still enchanting.  

I remember first seeing the "pickled babies" on a school field trip and announcing to my mother that now I knew how babies were made.   (The entire exhibit goes from conception to full term.)  Note the explanation about the fetuses.  

The math exhibit had some patchwork patterns.  I managed to negotiate the Mirror Maze without banging into any of the mirrors.  

Next post:  the quilts!  

4 comments:

  1. Wow - you definitely DID have some adventures! However did you find time to sleep?

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds like a grand time and why not....so many interesting things to see and do....and so glad you got to the church....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm delighted to see that Colleen Moore's Doll House is still at the Museum of Science and Industry! I first saw it more than 55 years ago when we lived in Elmhurst, a western suburb.

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed all of your excursions. Thank you for your links. Living in downstate IL I hope to visit them. I found it interesting that you noted about 40 people attended the service you went to at the large beautiful church. The country church I grew up in usually has 20+ attend. The church used to be filled 80-100 most Sundays. They shouldn’t feel bad about their attendance, as they sometimes do. Thank you so much for sharing. It was delightful!

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.