Sunday, December 17, 2023

Weekly update: tragedy, triumph, estate sale delights, and Indigo Way


 Look at the upper left of the photo.  That dot is a bald eagle.  He's got his eye on a disabled duck in the lake.   Gulls were doing their part to chase the eagle off.  [Taken after the Friday estate sale.]

I was going to post on Wednesday. I was going to post on Friday.  But things happen.

To make a long story short, I've been figuring out how to adapt the household layout to S's limited mobility and particularly to his advancing dementia.  He wrenched his knee last week so going down to the basement family room/sewing studio is out.  That's where our only TV has been until this week when I bought a second one that is now in the living room.  Points to me that I managed to set it up!  (Boy, TVs are much less expensive these days.)   Right now it's on the coffee table. After all the Christmas things are put away I'll do more rearranging and find a better TV stand.   

Our neighbor helped out by taking S's bed off the frame so the mattress/box spring are on the floor -- 6" lower and easier to get into and out of. (If he falls I cannot lift him.)   However, the 24" bathroom door is too narrow for the walker so there's some gymnastics to get to the toilet and tub.  He is adjusting and I'm adjusting.

I got a sore throat overnight Friday.   I took a Covid test at 3:45 a.m. Yep, I've got it.  I dug out a mask, went to urgent care Saturday morning, and got a prescription for Paxlovid.   As I write this Sunday evening I feel much better though I can't be far from a box of Kleenex.   The five-day quarantine goes through Wednesday. 

But I wasn't sick earlier in the week and went to two estate sales.  The first was part IV of Barb M's fabric stash.  ( Part III is here with links to Parts I and II.)  Proceeds from each sale go to a different charity, this time to St. Jude's.  

Average price:  $1.92/yard.  (Note that I'm not saying how many yards!)

The new guys and the old guy.
The second was conducted by Balderdash, a local estate sale company.  I was at the door early and got what I wanted:  four German nutcrackers, tags still on.  

The large ones were $40 each and the small ones were $30 each.  A great buy!

There was some fabric, too, for $1.00 per piece.  

# # # # # #

The new TV set up means that I have to figure out how to bring some sewing things upstairs.   The living room is cluttered enough. I haven't worked it all out yet.   

Meanwhile, I did get some downstairs sewing accomplished.  (Me to S:  "I will be downstairs for an hour."  Twenty minutes later, S hollers, "Nann, where are you?"  Repeat. Repeat.)   


And repeat, repeat until I finished all the units for Part 4 of Indigo Way.  I keep each part in a Snapware box.  

Linking up with Sew and Tell Oh Scrap!  Design Wall Monday





P.S. The nutcracker collection has outgrown the mantel.

 


20 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry you have Covid! I hope it's a mild case and that Paxlovid takes care of it.
    I didn't realize that your husband had dementia. I'm so sorry. You two are facing lots of challenges--probably more you than him (if he doesn't realize it). I had to use a walker for a few months after surgeries several years ago and we also have a 24" bathroom door. I managed to get in by going sideways, which was challenging. That may not work for your husband.
    I'm always just a little envious of the wonderful fabrics you find at sales.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like you've had a heck of a week, Nann. I'm sorry you're sick - there's so much of it going around right now. Sounds like you've had a pretty mild case, though, which is good. Your nutcracker collection is really fun! I hope you find a way to make yourself an upstairs sewing nook so you can be close to Stephen's, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Saying prayers that you will feel better soon and that you have the strength and stamina to take care of your husband. My husband had Alzheimers/dementia and I took care of him for eight years before he went to a care center for the last year and a half. Not an easy journey that you are traveling. Stay strong.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hope you are feeling better each day

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nann, I have read your blog for years. I marvel at how much sewing you accomplish along with your reading. I'm sorry you are facing many challenges at this time. You and your husband are in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope you feel better soon. Love your nutcracker collection! Sending prayers for Stephen and you and wishing you both a merry Christmas. Smithcindyk@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Our guild's Christmas party theme was "Nuts about Quilting" with a huge display of nutcrackers. Each table was named with a character from the ballet. I've always felt them a little creepy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Covid seems to be making the rounds. Hopefully you are feeling much better. Sounds like you are doing a good job of making things work for Your Guy. Fingers crossed that eliminates some of the bigger fall risks. Happy stitching this week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Nann, this is all too much and my heart goes out to you. Glad you got to the estate sales at least. Sending hugs and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Buggers on the Covid test and yea for the positive Paxlovid results. Wishing you and S the best as you both move forward through the continuing Dementia path.

    Blessed Monday! Aren't the Eagles amazing creatures? We live near a river where there are dozens and we watch or hear them hunt daily. It is genuinely the small wonders that make life stop in its tracks isn't it? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh gosh, Nann, Covid too? Just not fair is it!!:((( I am so sorry to hear about your DH's issues...I went through Alzh with my Mom for 4 years so I "get it:. Hoping you get better soon and can have some time to get rest...Hugs and healing thoughts going your way....Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  12. From Quiltdivajulie - your tall German nutcracker with the green hat is just like one my husband brought me from a work trip to Germany many years ago! Points to you for keeping S at home and coping with the repetitive questions (for my mom it was "where's my purse"). And I'm so sorry you got COVID in the middle of everything else - thank goodness for Paxlovid (it helped my sister and her husband a few weeks ago when they both had it). Take time to TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF, please.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My husband tested positive for covid this am so I have something to look forward to. Congrats on looking for practical ways to address your husband's health challenges; my parents resisted moving the TV up to the ground floor and their bedroom down into the never used formal dining room and ultimately were unable to stay in their 3 story house (but the dining room remained intact!). When we re-did our own ground floor bath about 10 years ago I insisted on an extra wide door way and low-threshold shower stall and it has made life easier with a frequent visitor who uses a walker.

    Your fabric finds are enviable as always.

    Ceci

    ReplyDelete
  14. PS from Quiltdivajulie - omigosh - when I looked even more closely at your mantel display, the British nutcracker just to the right of the Noel sign is exactly like one my mom brought me from her one and only overseas trip before her dementia/Alzheimer's took over her life.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are getting some excellent deals on fabric. How fun! The nutcrackers are delightful, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Keeping you and your husband in my prayers. I had covid last week, still tired.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a great Nutcracker collection! they all look so great lined up on your mantel. We just had to get a new TV too - its hard to learn how the new ones work.
    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh no, I'm so sorry you managed to get the dreaded covid! Now it's to be hoped that your DH doesn't get it as well. I'm also so sorry that you're having to also deal with dementia and other health issues with your DH. Life is not easy sometimes is it. Are you able to get a stair lift installed so he can get up and down the stairs? We had one for my Dad when he lived with us and the cost was pretty much covered by the government after we had a doctor prescribe it for him. Make sure you take time to take care of you and look into getting any assistance you can.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I know what you are going through as far as rearranging the house to accomodate a husband! I thought my husband was starting to show signs of dementia and/or Parkinson's but he had critically low sodium. Hopefully they will figure out what to do about that so his confusion and tremors clear up. I think sewing helps me feel in control of some part of my world right now. Sounds like it does that for you too. Oh, and bonus points for scores at estate sales!
    And best wishes for a speedy recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I left a comment and it disappeared. Trying this test one now.

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.