Wednesday, December 27, 2023

Midweek: thank you all, adjustments, Christmas -- and sewing

 

A Christmas Day toast

Thank you all for your kind comments and suggestions.   S's knee is much better and he's getting used to using the walker.  The physical therapist came on Friday and recommended some exercises and a couple of adaptive devices to make navigation easier.  The social worker from the hospital senior care office is coming tomorrow.    

I tested negative for Covid after the five-day quarantine.  That's one test it's good to fail!   S did not come down with it.  (No way could I have masked or kept distance from him.)  

On Christmas Eve day we drove 65 miles to my sister's house and enjoyed a noon meal with her, her husband, her son, DIL, and their daughter.  My nephew is a paramedic and thus the ideal person to help S get in the house (and back out again).  (Even a very open-plan ranch house has barriers.)   The socializing was good for S and good for me.   We were home at 4:00 so I didn't have to drive in the dark.  

We enjoyed our version of a movie marathon (two Saturday, two Sunday, one Monday.) 


I've watched Christmas Story and White Christmas many times but I'm pretty sure this was the first time I'd seen the others in their entirety.  


I noticed the quilt in Holiday Inn. Both Bing and Fred slept under it.  (I think it's a shoo-fly variation.)  

# # # # # #

Sewing centers me in times of stress.  Here's how I'm managing. 

I thought I could be heroic and make table runners for Christmas gifts. Not a good decision to make Dec. 20.  I gave up on that idea.  



I set up the Singer 301, aka Sweetness, in the living room.  The cutting mat is on the dining table and the portable ironing board is on the kitchen counter.  (The green table was a gift from friends when they moved to a new house back in 1991.  It was in their garage where it held paint cans. It's solid oak, painted green some time ago, used as a nightstand at one point. It's been in our laundry room since we moved here.  I'm glad I kept it.)

It's rather like being at a retreat in that I have to plan what projects to work on.   

Living room sewing:  Part 5 of Indigo Way.   I used Deb Tucker's Square 2 ruler.  It's the best way to make square-in-square units. 

Keeping up with Indigo Way is my One Monthly Goal for December.

I turned on a Netflix series to keep S occupied and spent time in the downstairs studio to make hourglass string blocks.  I have a box of 1" strips that I've gradually sewn into long panels, then cut into quarter-square triangles.  Ta-da!  Here's the flimsy.  The blocks are 8.5 unfinished. 48 x 72.  


Linking up with OMG, Midweek Makers   Wednesday Wait Loss


15 comments:

  1. awesome hourglass blocks! and if you decide to fling the green table.....LOL! keep your chin up my friend....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Setting yourself up for joyful sewing where S knows you're near. Adaptive is the key after 60y isn't it? Hugs to you.

    Sounds like a joyful Christmas for you all :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Life keeps throwing unexpected things at us. I'm glad you are able to continue quilting it does help destress us. I found that if I go to my bookmarks and try to open your site I'm allowed to. If I try to go through a blog -- it's a no go. Good to know so now I can come visit more often. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy things worked out for your Christmas visit;))) We are transitioning back to "real lif" here today after all the hoop-lah of the past weekend...
    Your sq in sq blocks are looking so pretty in the deep blues and whites...Good you could set up in the living room...hugs x2 Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, for me, too - sewing is the go-to stress reliever! Glad you have figured out ways to make it possible for you. I love the green table sewing station! The hourglass string blocks are great - love how they make pinwheels around the quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great progress, despite your recent obstacles, Nann. You're doing fab on BH's mystery. I broke my wrist and have to resort to downloading the clues for now. I love how your string quilt turned out, too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Quiltdivajulie here - sewing centers me, too. VERY happy you have an upstairs sewing station now. And glad S is doing a bit better with the navigation. Also wonderful that you have outside help coming to you rather than having to always go to them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I watched Miracle and 34th Street and It's a Wonderful Life as far as the classics go.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So happy for you that S is getter better, no Covid, time with family and sewing too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like you had a lovely holiday. My daughter and I made a list of Christmas movies we wanted to see, and then watched a few of them every day during her visit. You're making good progress on all your projects. So glad S is starting to feel better and get around more easily. Have a great New Year! Thanks for sharing on my weekly show and tell, Wednesday Wait Loss. https://www.inquiringquilter.com/questions/2023/12/27/wednesday-wait-loss-360

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like you had a nice relaxing Christmas. Glad to hear that S's knee is getting better. I've not touched clue 6 yet. Looks like you've done well at finishing it up.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am always astounded at how much you can manage to accomplish with your quilting when I know you have your hands full dealing with your DH. So glad you were able to enjoy a visit with family over Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats on meeting your goal, particularly with everything you had going on. Sounds like you had a nice holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fabulous data. 381 yards average per year is an amazing stitching history. Goals met-so awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy New Year, Love the quarter hourglass blocks. Don't mind if I borrow that do you ?

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.