Monday, December 11, 2023

Weekly update: Indigo Way and emptying a bag

 


Ornaments are hung along the trail at Lyons Woods.  Once you see one you see another, and another.   (I will pay this wonder forward. I have a box of ornaments (rummage sale purchase) that I'll hang along another trail.)  




The Lake County Women's Coalition steering committee combined business and socializing with a luncheon meeting Saturday.  Plans for the Women's History Month luncheon in March are well underway.  


# # # # #



I used Deb Tucker's V-block Trimmer to make the second units for Indigo Way.   More accurate than Tri-Recs though it takes a bit to figure out how to flip the ruler and the fabric for subsequent cuts.  (I have several of Deb's rulers and they're all great.)



I used Bonnie Hunter's Essential Triangle ruler to make the cat's cradle units for part 3 of Indigo Way. 

I keep each part in a Snapware box.  (Snapware was a recommendation from Bonnie many years ago.)



I had a ziploc bag with a bunch of 5-patch units left over from a waffle stamps quilt. (I donated the quilt to a fundraiser this fall.)   I added four strips and placed units at the edge, one in from the edge, and in the middle.   The assortment is so random it's hard to find a focal point....not sure what will happen next.

Blocks are 8" unfinished, 7.5" finished.  2" strips.
 

# # # # #

Our latest dessert is a pie made from an unconventional  ingredient.   



 The cookbook was published in 1999.  One of the authors was an AAUW/P.E.O. friend when I lived in Fargo. (She was on the faculty at Dickinson State.)  





Here's the recipe.   It tastes good!  (Rather like a green tomato pie.)  


# # # # #



A Mi'kmaq family from Nova Scotia work on a blueberry farm in northeastern Maine every summer.  In 1962 four-year-old Ruthie wanders away from the fields one afternoon and is never seen again.  Forever after the entire family mourns. .  Another tragedy strikes when Charlie, the oldest, is pummeled to death in a senseless brawl.   Ben and Mae deal with the loss of their siblings by hard work.  Joe survives a car wreck and then proceeds to mess up his marriage.  He flees to western Canada, recovers, and returns to Nova Scotia when he is diagnosed with inoperable cancer.  

Meanwhile Norma grows up in a small Maine city with an overprotective mother, an emotionally detached father, and a loving aunt.   As a young child she has wild and disturbing dreams and an imaginary friend named Ruthie.  She often feels she is a misfit and early on figures out that she is adopted, but she can't ask any questions let alone get answers.   She tries marriage but can't achieve trust or intimacy (though her husband is a thoroughly decent man). She has a successful teaching career but always, always returns to take care of her mother. 

Norma's story alternates with Joe's:  lives lived in parallel less than two hundred miles but a world apart.  We know what's going to happen -- but debut novelist Amanda Peters spins out the tale and keeps us turning the pages.

Linking up with  Design Wall Monday  Sew and Tell Oh Scrap!

10 comments:

  1. Those greens and blues will be pretty together for Indigo Way! Looks like the project on your wall will be fun to play with, too. Thanks for the book recommendation - sounds like a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the ornaments along the pathway. So cool! Your design wall has a lovely collage of scrap bag treasures. As much as I like turnip, I'll pass on the pie, thanks anyway. Enjoy! ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nann, the Waffle Strips are great! I also loved the piecing on the backing from your link - 2 different fabrics interwoven with a double strip of squares. I see a good use of scraps in my future.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The ornaments along the trail look pretty. I can see how you'd spot one, then see another and another. Your blues and greens look good together. The Indigo Way quilt is going to be very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. great book recommendation...have to pass it on to my mum as well...and turnip pie? ewww

    ReplyDelete
  6. Deb Tucker is a genius. I also used her V block ruler for clue 2. Then sprang for her technique sheet for clue 3. Just finished a little bit ago. Wouldn't have gotten accurate pieces any othe way.

    There was a pattern very similar to your scrap blocks published in a magazine some years ago. The only difference is the 5 piece strip was in the middle, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You made quick work of the Indigo clues. Enjoy your stitching time this week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The past couple of years someone has wrapped a number of the trees along the hiking trail with lights and it's evidently quite magical. I can't go to see them because Resident Chef would want to tag along and there's too much risk of him falling.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your Indigo Way clues are terrific. . .love your green and thanks for the tip about Deb Tucker's ruler!--TerryK@OnGoingProjects

    ReplyDelete
  10. I too like Studio 180/Deb Tucker rulers. I can't say I have all of them but I have a goodly number of them and use the Tucker Trimmer a LOT!

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.