Monday, November 13, 2023

Weekly update: sunshine, music, scraps + reading


 Just two walks last week -- Sand Pond (close to home at Illinois Beach State Park) and Greenbelt (on the border of Waukegan and North Chicago).   

On many days Stevens will declare right after lunch that he's ready to go out.   A good habit for both of us.  




Yesterday's baby shower (for which I made the quilt I showed last Wednesday) was cancelled.  The mother-to-be was having false labor.  (No baby yet, though.)    It was a good thing I hadn't given away our tickets to the LCCCA performance.   The Suits were great!  

# # # # #






In the studio:  the I Spy baby quilt generated a pile of cut-away triangles, all yellow-and-novelty. I sewed and trimmed them into 1.5" HSTs and then made 4.5" star blocks.   Earlier this year I did the same thing with left overs from another I Spy quilt. I was able to get 33 little stars between the two quilts.

I'll let them marinate for a while.




More 1.5" HSTs were sitting in a box.  I thought about making them into ocean waves blocks (inspired by Ann/Fret Not Yourself) but the alternate snowball blocks were fiddly with such small pieces.  I made twosies into foursies into 16-patches.  The green-with-white setting fabric was a fairly recent acquisition and I had just enough of it.  (I cut setting triangles oversized to provide a good "float.")  I'm pretty sure I'll use the blue floral (selvedge date 2012) for the borders.  Blocks are 4-1/2" unfinished.  

# # # # #

  



I've haven't attended the Zoom P.E.O. Book Club for a couple of months due to schedule conflicts (and once, I confess, because I didn't want to reread the book).  

 I'm all set for tomorrow's discussion when historian Katherine Sharp Landdeck will join us to talk about her book.   She makes history come to life with the personal recollections by these pioneering women aviators.  


Linking up with  Design Wall Monday Oh Scrap!   Sew and Tell





P.S.  I made a quilt block to decorate a plain shopping bag for the baby quilt.  I fused the block to the bag with ultra-hold Heat'n'Bond.

10 comments:

  1. both scrappys adorable nann...it is amazing what a plethora of HSTs can produce...cute bag! very cold here in ME, 21 this morning....back to MD tues

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love those floating yellow stars on your design wall! The green is such a great choice for your ocean waves quilt!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your little stars--they are just adorable--so small!!
    hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nann, I think you are one of the most prolific quilters I know! Every week you have one or two new quilts in the works or finish. Your little stars are adorable. For your little HSTs I like the idea of cutting the setting triangles oversized. I'm planning to do that when I sew my scrappy stars together.
    What a great idea for the bag for the baby quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Isn't it lovely when you get the basis for a new quilt from the trimmings from a previous quilt? In my mind it feels as if the work is already done even though it really isn't.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You made great use of those HSTs and so quickly too! We have had some beautiful November weather in the 50s and 60s.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like a very nice walk. The two sets of scrappy blocks are really fun. Love that sunny yellow.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great way to dress up a plain gift bag. Thank you for sharing in my Sew & Tell party.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aren't those triangle cutaways great. I have a few patterns that I use a lot where you end up cutting off triangles. I usually end up using mine in crumb blocks because I'm not organized enough to keep the triangles all separate...but I do love the scrap quilts. It feels like getting a free quilt. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. My favourites are always scrappy quilts. The one with the green background reminds me of facets.

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.