Monday, July 31, 2023

Weekly update: two finishes + the stash report

 


This week's walks were at Spring Bluff (close to home) and Ethel's Woods. 

 Vervain.

Purple coneflower, meadow sweet.

Sawtooth sunflower, white monarda.

Tansy, pinnate prairei coneflower.



There are signs at both preserves that explain the history of the property. 

We saw the movie Oppenheimer on Saturday afternoon.  We arrived in plenty of time, so much so that we had to sit through nearly a half hour of commercials and previews before the three-hour feature began.  It was thought-provoking. Once I got home I looked up the people, some of whom I'd heard of but others who were unfamiliar, like Lewis Strauss.   [My very quick take: if Oppenheimer hadn't said yes to managing the Manhattan Project the government would have found someone else.]

I really dislike the huge screen / small theater design nowadays.  Our seats were two levels up, which meant stairs (a challenge for S to negotiate) but the accessible seats are way too close to the screen.  

# # # # # #


In the studio:   the red and black flying geese quilt is finished.   I outlined the geese and quilted interlocking squares in the sashes.  

I have three big tubs of 3+-yard pieces for backings but more often I turn to the stash to find a variety of prints to use.  


 







I made another batch of mug rugs for the ongoing P.E.O. project.  These were scarily-easy to piece, quilt, and bind. 

# # # # #

Because I don't plan to buy any fabric today nor do I anticipate finishing anything I can present the July stash report.  

   Fabric IN: 23 yards, $171, average $7.43/yard (LQS liquidation sale).  Fabric OUT:  50-5/8 yards.

Fabric IN YTD: 504-1/2, $1169, average $2.32/yard.

Fabric OUT YTD: 725-1/8.      Net REDUCTION: 220-5/8.

Linking up with Oh Scrap! Design Wall Monday Sew and Tell


5 comments:

  1. I saw Oppenheimer too and came out of it exhausted...the length and all the issues were overwhelming for me and I too sat through the 30 minute preamble. Luckily I was in the second last row and had no trouble taking in the screen. Yes, they surely would have found someone else to take on the project. Anyway, your quilt is lovely and how wonderful to find something scarily easy to put together. Love that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Appreciate the review...maybe shoulda seen barbie??? Lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. My son saw both (double feature) and came out of Barbie filled with thought-provoking questions. He had written just one question down during Oppenheimer; filled the paper during Barbie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We saw/liked Oppenheimer last week, too. The acting was superb. And, yes, if he hadn't done it, they would have found someone else. It is still so terrible that it "had" to happen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. DH and I haven't been to a movie in years and I doubt we'll be going again due to his issues with sciatica and sitting for too long in one spot. There's really been nothing we've wanted to see badly enough to brave the crowds either.

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.