Sunday, April 30, 2023

Weekly update: stash report and OMG May

More meals out, all in good company.

Friday-- dinner with Ann and John (who live in Evanston) and Marty and Pete (who were visiting A and J from Falls Church).   Ann and Stevens went to kindergarten together (in 1945).  Pete and Stevens went to prep school (all-boys) together (7th grade-12th grade).   Ann and Marty were classmates from first grade all the way through college (all- girls/women).  It had been 40 years since Pete and Stevens had seen one another.  (The jacket was one of the first things I made when I moved back to Illinois in the spring of 1998.)

Saturday -- the P.E.O. Lake County Round Table Founders Day luncheon.  Dr. Jessica Nelson, the speaker, received a P.E.O. Scholar Award in 2018. She told us about her dissertation research: "Women of Our Nation: Gender, Race, and Christian Indian Identity in Mexico and the United States, 1753-1867." (The Scholar Awards are competitive, merit-based awards that recognize and encourage academic excellence and achievement by women in doctoral-level programs. 2,527 awards have been made since inception in 1991.)

Saturday evening we went to a spaghetti supper at the Winthrop Harbor recreation center to benefit the Razzle Dazzles who are going to the world championships in Liverpool, England, this summer. Hundreds of people turned out.

But you didn't come here to hear about food!

# # # # #

The stash report for April:

Fabric OUT: 64-3/4 yards (that includes the box I sent to the Hands2Help give away winner).

Fabric IN: 23 yards, $146, average $6.34/yard.

Year to date OUT: 278-1/4

Year to date IN: 256-1/2, $778, $3.03/yard

Net decrease: 21-3/4

# # # # #

One Month Goal for May:

(a) Something orange for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge. This year I've been going to "what's in the box?" Here's what that box turned up in the way of orange.


(b) More WITB: I am planning a project that will require red, white, and black fabric. Back in May, 2008, I brought my Featherweight and a pile of those colors Magpies' PieFiesta Dos. Though we did a lot of other things that weekend I did have time to sew. Once I got home I put all the units and pieces in a shoebox. I guess I've added to it since because when I opened the box last week I was surprised by how much was in it.

So, the goal is to make this project -- and figure out what to do with the other units in the box.

The geese are out of the box

Panel is from a tote bag

Linking up with Oh Scrap! Elm Street OMG May Sew and Tell Design Wall Monday

10 comments:

  1. Love the comment on the bag. That might cause a stir although I agree completely. It'll be fun to see what you develop from your red, black, white and grey fabrics. You've got a good start. I can't imagine going to school with people for as many years as your friends represent. I went to 11 different schools from K to 12th grade. Dad was Navy so many were because of new orders but some were change of district lines and changes from elementary, middle and high school. Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What's in the box? I ask myself that often. This week I'm tackling The Very Last Box O'blocks. I've lost count of the times that I've thought that and then unearthed another pile of blocks or precuts but this time it is really the last one. Probably.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you May is going to be adventurous! You found a lot of geese!!! I love your tote bag words. There is so much happening in regard to book selection and the fears of a few, that I am a bit worried. I just saw the new slogan for this year's Banned Books Week....."Let Freedom Read"! Good luck with your OMG!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a wonderful weekend. And just look at all those flying geese! Good job. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like you had fun time with both friends and fabric. Good luck with your goals for the month.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! What a beautiful time you all must have had on Friday night! 😊 Dr. Nelson’s topic sounds very interesting! You certainly had an active weekend! Your orange and black basket block is precious! Oh, yes, my bits and bobs are taking over my sewing space – time to wrap them up! Your Librarians Panel/quilt will be so pretty – and share an important message to boot!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Actually I enjoy hearing about food!! Your meals were much more interesting than the drive through Burger King we made yesterday in between one granddaughter's swim meet and 2 of her cousins' soccer games. We ate in the car while driving the 20 miles between events. LOL I really like the idea of What's In The Box?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like that librarian quotation! Red/white/black is such a great combination, and the flying geese look like a terrific project to finish.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's so sweet that you and your friends have remained friends for so long. I don't think that happens very often.
    I'm looking forward to your progress on the red, white, and black quilt. Love your geese!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You had a lot to do and your destashing is impressive! I know how good it makes me feel to see it go down. Good luck on your OMG!

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.