Friday, January 20, 2023

Friday check in: birthday week, mini in the mail, and a finish!

 

Look who began a "prime" year on Wednesday.   The Facebook post with this photo garnered 139 "likes" and 94 comments to his surprise and gratification.   (I gave him three new pairs of his preferred suspenders and a large-screen clock/calendar, not-so-tactfully described as a "dementia clock" on the Amazon listing.)

# # # # #





Earlier this month I made this spiral quilt and wrote that I'd like to try the concept with other blocks.  Now I have! It's my entry for the 2023 MQG Mini Swap. I mailed it to my swap partner earlier this week.

Though the swap instructions said 24 x 24 this is 24 x 26 to make the design work properly.   All batik.  I pieced 3/4" x 7"+/- strips in groups of six, pressed, and sliced into 2-1/2" pieces.  The binding is a batik stripe that echoes the multi-color blocks, though I didn't intend to have the binding blend that closely with the final block (lower left). 

This is the third year I've participated in this swap.  It's a good design challenge.   

# # # # # #



Here's this week's other finish.  I made the flimsy in December.  

 The backing fabric was a  rummage sale bargain that turned out to be 24 yards. The faux woodblock print is very, very dark.   For both this quilt and a previous one I've used it reverse-side-up.  There's a lot of it remaining so you'll see it in future finished quilts.

The pinwheels were my RSC block in 2019.   Maybe I'll use 'em up this year.   (Maybe I won't.)

Linking up with Finished or Not Friday and Peacock Party


13 comments:

  1. Happy "Prime" Birthday guy;)))--my Mom loved her "Clock/Calendar"--
    Lovely December quilt finish--you did a great job on this one...love it--Hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy belated birthday to your "Prime" fellow! Sometimes it's hard not to laugh at the descriptions on Amazon products, written no doubt by people with limited language/cultural knowledge. I love the concept for your spiral quilts, and can see one in my future. They look like a great way to dig into some of the heaps of scraps piling up around here. Hope you have a lovely weekend, snow predicted for here but at 39 degrees I doubt we'll get much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the spiral. Amazing that it is tiny. Do convey my birthday wishes to your DH. Paul is an Aquarius too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is your second quilt finish a lego quilt pattern? It looks like it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy belated birthday to Your Guy. Congrats on the two finishes. The spiral quilt is so colorful and fun. Happy stitching this week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't imagine buying 24 yards of any fabric. However, you are putting it to good use. I like this spiral as much as the other one. I wonder what other blocks you can make into a spiral? Happy Birthday to dear hubby. Personally I like a large clock. It means I "might" be able to read it without glasses on!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Happy Birthday!!! ( despite the clock *ugh*) LOVE your spiral quilt.. its so amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. yes indeed a belated happy birthday to your better half...and many more! love the spiral scrappy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the idea of a prime birthday, a positive omen for the year to come. I had one last year come to think of it. Happy birthday to your husband! Was there cake? One of our kids responded to an adult asking "did you enjoy your birthday?" with a very crestfallen "there wasn't cake". It had been a very harried week day and there was a cake planned for the weekend, but we certainly learned our lesson - always cake on the actual day!

    That's a lot of rather subdued backings in your future; the pinwheels spice things up nicely.

    Ceci

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No specific birthday cake. I always make baked goods for for our dessert -- this week began with cherry pie. When we finished that, orange/cranberry bundt cake.

      Delete
  10. A family birthday and two quilt finishes! You have had a very special week. I absolutely love the spiral quilt, what a great design.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A belated Happy Birthday to your husband! He looks pleased. Love that spiral quilt for your swap project. It's so pretty against the black.

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.