Sunday, January 8, 2023

Weekly update: an anniversary, some walking, and a WITB surprise

Twenty years ago this past week (January 2, 2003) I began a new job as director of the Zion-Benton Public Library.    It was my sixth and final professional position.  It was a good move for me and, I think, a good move for the library.  (This appointment began with less fanfare than APL in 1982 and that was perfectly okay.)

# # # # #

The week's been overcast and damp albeit snow-less.  After good walks last weekend it wasn't until this afternoon (Sunday) that I got out again.  Top:  the sun came out for a moment.  Left: a fringe of icicles.  Fungus is the only thing in "bloom" this time of year.


# # # # #

Elizabeth DeCroos  (Epida Studio) was the presenter at the guild's Zoom meeting on Wednesday.   She told us the history  of pojagi (Korean patchwork, usually for wrapping cloths) She showed us how it is done traditionally and then how she has adapted it for contemporary stained-glass effect patchwork.   Very interesting!



# # # # #

WITB = what's in the box.   Technically, it was a drawer, not a box, that I opened to look for something.  I didn't find that (and I don't remember what "that" was) but I did find a stack of MixMash blocks that I had completely forgotten I'd made. MixMash is a design by Shelly Pagliai . Her blocks are 4" finished.  Mine are 5" finished because 1-1/2" strips/squares are a size I save.  I put them on the design wall and look what happened!

The flimsy is 60 x 65 and used 3-7/8 yards.  I might have made it bigger but I didn't have enough of the background.  The spiral design intrigues me and I'm already envisioning it made with flying geese.

   

Here's a block pre-assembled.  

Linking up at Design Wall Monday and Oh Scrap!







P.S.  The call to worship at this morning's church service really described me.


11 comments:

  1. MixMatch was a really good use of those blocks. Somewhere in a drawer in my sewing room should be a similar one, but done with 2.5" squares set into a spiral. I know I never finished it, so I wonder where it ended up. Your photo with the string of icicles was so interesting! You do find such unique things on your walks so you must be very observant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mixmatch looks amazing! I love the red background with it. Loved your photos from outdoors! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I might steal that call for our worship committee.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your new quilt design! Such a fun scrappy block to sew and the spiral layout is beautiful! It reminds me of a labyrinth!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, well. Looks as though I'll be making some new blocks out of "scraps and happy thoughts" after all! http://cbottsprojects.blogspot.com/2023/01/pouts-and-meqs.html I'm wondering how those MixMashes would work moving up in size each round. Three 1.5" middle blocks result in a 3.5" length, which is how I cut my 2" bricks (2"x3.5"). If I use those for the next round, I'm thinking the 2.5"x4.5" bricks would come into play next. I'm gonna have to experiment--what a shame!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great present to yourself! A forgotten set of blocks. I really like how you've set them. I'm impressed you walk out in the cold. We hit the gym for our walking. On the other hand we do it year round because the summer heat gets miserable too. Are you planning on perusing other drawers for surprises?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am really liking your scrap quilt too! Flying geese would be lovely flying about that path!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. love your spiral quilt! I can see it made with crumb blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those MixMash blocks were a great find, and I love what you did with them! Thanks for the info on how they are made, too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My last poke around in boxes gave me a grocery bag of 4" paper pieced log cabin blocks but I doubt I have enough of any one suitable background fabric. There may be cutting maths in my immediate future, thanks for that.

    ReplyDelete
  11. i am loving mixmash! i'm reading "samuel adams" and it is so funny in places....and disheartening in that political strife is not something new in 2023....sigh

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.