Monday, January 23, 2023

Weekly update: two entertaining afternoons and another finish (and start)

 
It was too wet and cold for walks this weekend.   We had indoor entertainment instead.Saturday afternoon we saw  A Man Called Otto. It was wonderful--can Tom Hanks make a bad movie?  And Mariana Trevino as Marisol -- what a delight.  It complements the Swedish movie and the book.  

On Sunday afternoon we went to the College of Lake County to see The Great DuBois.Juggling and gymnastics!  The 350-seat Studio Theater is small and all seats had a good view. (The entry is at the back row and our seats were on the aisle.  Easier for Stevens to negotiate.  Mind you, we also had back row seats at the movie theater but those required climbing stairs in dim light. Not good. Next time I will pay better attention to the seating diagram.)



# # # # # #

In the studio:  the scrappy spiral flimsy is quilted and bound.  



I quilted spirals in the blocks and a grid in the sashes.   It's 60" x 65".


Quilter's World magazine has been around for decades.   Some time ago I bought a box of back issues at a thrift store that went back to the very early days.  (I later gave all of those to a quilt history researcher.)   I've recently bought several issues from the magazine stand at Jewel or Walgreen's.  It is now published quarterly.  I don't know how much control the new editor Carolyn Beam has over the content, but it's gotten better.   That leads to my new project inspired by a pattern in the current issue.  

This is "as patterned."  Though it's hard to see against the design wall, the columns are pieced and the borders are pinned.  But, gee, that's a lot of white.  I have a change in mind.   

Here is part 2.   Come back later this week to see.

Linking up with Design Wall Monday and Oh Scrap!

9 comments:

  1. Your newest effort is interesting. I'm looking forward to how you make it your own. It's good to hear that someone actually buys quilt magazines any more. I haven't for years. Although one of these days I'll succumb to a new one. Sounds like you had some good entertainment recently.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What wonderful entertainment!
    Love how your spiral quilt and the backing your created turned out!!
    YYour new project looks good but I agreee white borders don't do much of the quilt. Looking forward to seeing what your dream yo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the blue and white project. It has such a strong design. We also saw that Tom Hanks movie on Saturday and I had the exact same thoughts. The actress playing Marisol was excellent. I do buy quilting magazines, and our guild usually has a table to exchange magazines, sometimes patterns or books too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great finish for your spiral quilt. I must remember that zipper backing element for some future quilts, though I tend to get lazy when it comes to making backings. You're right, that is a lot of white in your latest start, it can use some additional zing, and I'm sure you have a perfect fix in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  5. gosh nann you do know how to inspire a gal! that blue/white is gorgeous and a great scrap buster too...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd answer "Yes" to the Tom Hanks question (rhetorical as it was): "Hologram for the King".

    ReplyDelete
  7. The spiral quilt turned out beautifully. Love the blue and white, it's gorgeous. Stay warm, it's cold here, so it has to be really cold where you are.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks so different in those colors! I like both of them. I may have to take some of my many leader-enders and try that set. Maybe even this year's RSC blocks! Thanks for inspiring me.

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.