Friday, December 30, 2022

Friday check in: flinging, finishes, and a flimsy


Vintage Fiesta and vintage tablecoth  
Sunrise 12/28

 

 Christmas Eve and Christmas Day were very cold but clear.   On Christmas Day we had time for presents and a festive breakfast (pancakes, bacon, and eggs) before the Sunday service for which I was liturgist.   Our Christmas dinner was at regular suppertime:  roast beef, parsnips, Brussels sprouts, popovers.   We watched several PBS/Netflix Mary Berry cooking shows where she made turkey. British friends said that nowadays turkey is for Christmas since they don't have our Thanksgiving holiday.  I'll stick to the old-fashioned menu.  (Especially since we still have leftover turkey in the freezer.)    
 

We celebrated Christmas with my sister and her family on Wednesday.   My nephew, his wife, and their daughter were there.  Rusty, the puppy, is a Vizsla.   (My sister and BIL are hunters and their dogs--right now an elderly Vizsla, the puppy, a springer, and a pointer--are workers.)

(BTW, the entree was venison.)   



We took advantage of the warmer temperature on Thursday.  Though the trail was muddy (snowmelt) I had a good walk.

Lower right:  collaborative effort by the beavers and the forest preserve guys.  (That kept the tree from falling across the road.)    


Flinging in-- my sister flung our mother's jewelry box.  The box is Bombay Co., circa 1991.  I know that because mine is just like it.  Much costume jewelry was sold in the 2002 estate sale.  I think this jewelry box was for current (at the time) and sentimental/valuable items.  I identified M's original wedding ring (a plain platinum band;  M said they were saving to buy furniture) and the Scottish Rite ring Dad wore in lieu of a wedding band. 

Top right:  the good stuff.  The little gold bar is stamped 10K/ 120 grains, worth about $250 per a gold-value calculator.  Bottom left: M liked rings. Most are costume, one diamond/gold, some turquoise/sterling. Bottom right: hers and hers.

 
Top left:  definitely costume; the copper base metal has corroded.   Top right:  I knew I'd given M an Alpha Gamma Delta Mother's Pin.  She had it made into a charm.  Bottom:  P.E.O. convention souvenir from that moment of stickpin revival in the 80's.   Right:  luggage keys from M's last set of suitcases.  No value at all, just a fond reminder.  Stevens used the larger suitcase until the zipper gave out.  When I packed the smaller one for our trip this summer I found M's i.d. in the i.d. pocket.   

Flinging out -- I sent a box of scraps to a quilting friend.   I also took a box of clothing (too big for me now!) and "misc. household" to the thrift shop.  I used great restraint and did not buy two all-cotton sheets, but I did indulge in six new-to-me quilt books.  Two had Amazon shipping receipts inside and I know the person who'd owned the books.  

Finishes -- three of the eleven wheelchair quilts are finished.  A fourth is quilted.   I'll bind it this evening.

I made the December guild BOM blocks (one of my OMGs for the month).  

A flimsy -- I've kept a box of 1.5" x 3.5" rails going for years.  They've been the basis of five red rails quilts. In October I began sewing the rails in a different design that was inspired by Lynn/Klein Meisje "thirteen" Here's how it turned out.  

The blocks are 9.5" unfinished.

There are more 1.5" x 3.5" rails in the box!

Linking up with Finished or Not Friday









P.S.  Happiness is a warm puppy!


 

7 comments:

  1. We had brisket for Christmas dinner cooked by my grandson in his smoker. I just ate the end of the turkey from the freezer. Great sunset photo. It's hard to capture the intensity of the colors and you got it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keeping a box full of "rails" already cut is quite smart. And the quilt turned out great. I keep boxes of squares in various sizes, and bricks. And then there are the strings of various widths that often end up in string blocks. Happy New Year!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. great post....lovely jewelry keepsakes...and that cute puppy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The sashes make all the difference to your "13" blocks. Without them, it's too much for my brain to process (I followed the link and immediately gave a mental "ugh!") The obvious directionality (is SO a word!) of each block helps too. My eye has a definite path to follow, and it thanks you!

    Bird 'Pie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like you had a very happy and busy Christmas. The rail fence blocks made a really fun and colorful finish. Hope your last day of 2022 is very productive and fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the jewelry you shared and filled with so many memories! Your quilt is lovely, what a great way to use up scraps! So glad you had a happy holiday! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your rail quilt is awesome!! But heck fire you have made great progress on the wheelchair quilts.!!!!
    What a fun ( Muddy ) hike you had - great idea to take advantage of a warm day!!! And the Fling in - super cool!!!

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.