Sunday, November 20, 2022

Weekly update: surprise revealed + unexpected development

 Brrr!  It's cold -- no walks this weekend.  I look forward to Wednesday-through-next-weekend when temps will reach 40.

The studio is in the basement where it's cozy in the winter and relatively cool in the summer (the effect of earth-sheltering).  I finished the  16-patch quilt that was under the needle on Friday.  I had in mind that either blue or green for the setting but I couldn't find a print that would go with both the light cream and the definite tan in the 16-patches. I did not want to make MORE 16-patches since the point of the project was to use up these blocks that came from leftover strips from Patchwork Fields (see last Monday's post).  

The coral 19th-c repro surfaced and it was just right.  



Here's the back.   It's approx. 45 x 54, a nice lap size.








Here's the unexpected development.    A couple of years ago I got a box of 6" strips at a guild meeting. They were a complete miscellany of prints and colors and I kept them in the box because I got them all at the same time. I realized it would be more logical to sort and store them by color. In so doing I emptied a box. Hooray!   I cut three different red/browns from that assortment as the cornerstones for my new design wall project-in-progress.   More to come!

(Blocks are 9" unfinished and I'm aiming for 42.)  





This was the inspiration photo. 

Linking up with Oh Scrap! and  Design Wall Monday

P.S.  I'll have a book review post this week for sure!   


6 comments:

  1. What a lovely lap quilt--that coral is perfect...hugs, julierose

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your 16 patch quilt is lovely! Looks like you found just the right setting fabric for it. I'm always impressed with how quickly you quilt and bind your quilt projects!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The coral fabric was a perfect choice for your 16 patch quilt blocks, lovely finish. Thanks for sharing the inspiration photo. That will make some great donation quilts with our stash of small yardage and scraps at the church.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is good to catch up on your quilting. Great finish~
    the new scrapp quilt is great too. I'm still trying to get my blog reading organized!
    Happy Early Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on finishing up your 16-Patch quilt, Nann! Enjoy working on that new project.

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.