Sunday, October 23, 2022

Weekly update: golden autumn woods, lunch with friends, and piecing the back

 Here's the commemorative medallion I got for completing Hike Lake County 2022. That's a rusty-patched bumblebee which is a critically-endangered species.   

I do not have a wooden hiking stick to which to nail it, nor do I have an RV to which to glue it, but I do have a bulletin board. <g>


And I'm still walking!


There cannot be too many golden autumn woods photos.

These were taken at McDonald Woods (Thursday) and Lyons Woods (Sunday).  



Such a beautiful time of year!

# # # # #


On Friday Stevens and I took our friend Pat out to lunch.  The restaurant, Walsh's Bar and Grill, is a decades-old tavern that was the scene of a mob killing in 1939 back when now-affluent suburban Westmont was just a spot on the highway.   Though Pat and I chat by phone often it's even better to visit in person.

"Family Reunion" was the theme for the P.E.O. Lake County Round Table Founders Day luncheon on Saturday.   The 13 chapters in the county usually hold this event in April but six months ago an uptick in Covid led to postponing until now.  I've gotten to know many P.E.O.s in other chapters over the years (I've given quilt history programs and book talks to many) and it was so good to see everyone.  Lynn Rymarz portrayed founder Franc Rhodes Elliott in 1919 looking back over the years.  Franc was an accomplished artist and art educator in Chicago. 


With friends Jeannine and Susie.

Ann is the 2022-23 state president. We've been friends since we served on a state projects committee.

# # # # # #

And, finally, the quilting part of this week's post. 


I have assembled the batik spare parts flimsy. Piecing the back has become complicated.  I'm going to have to turn these two big panels on their sides which means I will rip out two directional blocks and reorient them. (Would anyone know?  I would and it would drive me crazy if I didn't.) 

Linking up with Oh Scrap! Design Wall Monday

12 comments:

  1. oh how nice to see your friend pat...she was the gal who broke her hip in DC right? lovely fall photos, never tire of them...congrats on the badge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find I can easily overlook design flaws on items that are going straight out of the door. If I have to keep looking at them it's a different matter

    ReplyDelete
  3. What fun to see such beautiful scenery when you walk!
    Super fun backing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You may have to invest in a beautiful walking stick for future walks, and to add that badge to. I saw a lady last summer with a diamond willow walking stick, and it was gorgeous. I think the fall colors are a bit more brown around here this fall, maybe due to the drought. Seems like there is less orange or red in the trees than most years.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely Autumn photos. Those are big quilts! Nice way to use leftover batik spare parts... hugs, Juierose

    ReplyDelete
  6. This has been our best show of autumn colors in several years. And there can never be too many photos to remember it by.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I come here for nature walk pictures and book recommendations, as mush as for quilty pictures. Hope you have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the fall photos. We don't get those golden leaves here. How nice that you're groups are getting together again.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your trees are farther along then the ones near me, although many are beginning to turn. The greens have gone dull while the yellows and oranges are beginning to take over the overall colors. What fun to get out to see friends in person. I hate making backings. I give you a LOT of credit for making yours. Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh rats. I forgot to check. I'm the anonymous quilter from above. Bonnie brsinstitches at gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations on earning your commemorative medallion. My sister is in Grayslake. She didn't mention it. Had I known I would have joined you for a hike.

    ReplyDelete
  12. How fun to meet up and share again with good friends.
    Your Fall leaf colors are gorgeous.
    Backings are exhausting in my world, too!

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.