Thursday, October 27, 2022

Friday check in: meeting Edith + a finish!

 


Costume designer Edith Head visited the Clara Cummings Book Club luncheon on Thursday.  Martina Mathisen gave an interesting and informative portrayal. Head was awarded 8 Oscars over the span of her 60-year career, mostly with Paramount and later with Universal.   








# # # # # #

In the studio:   it's a finish!

Here is Spare Parts V.   72 x 80.  I estimate 8 yards used. 





  Last week I posted photos of the border/sashing I was considering. I searched further and found this gold batik. It's a Christmassy print (pinecones and sort-of poinsettias) that I got when we were on vacation in northern Minnesota way back in 2011.  That was a year I was really, really good about not buying but this batik was on clearance and I bought the rest of the bolt -- 6 yards.   After finally cutting into it for this quilt I still have 4 yards!  



I used more spare parts on the back as well as some larger pieces of batiks that have such large motifs that they lose a lot when cut up for blocks.    The project used up many odds and ends (some of which I'd completely forgotten about).    

Linking up with  Finished or not Friday

P.S. More words of advice from Edith Head.   (And, yes, Martina Mathisen did refer to Edith as the inspiration for the animated character Edna Mode in The Incredibles.)
                                                                             

9 comments:

  1. wow i am impressed....you made a definite silk purse out of those sow ears! and the gold is just right! i remember edith head, such a successful woman with a perfect sense of style...

    ReplyDelete
  2. A wonderful finish on your spare parts quilt!! i think Edith would be disappointed in me--I always buy with my "heart". No fashion maven, I :)))) hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahh, your Spare Parts has inspired me. OK if I copy a bit?

    ReplyDelete
  4. That back looks like it was fun to plan. Very evocative of my "Coach is Calling for the Heat" quilt for which I pieced nearly every chicken-themed fabric I had in my stash to create a back: http://cbottsprojects.blogspot.com/2019/07/under-needles.html

    In fact, you had commented that the back was "inspired!"

    Bird 'Pie

    ReplyDelete
  5. The gold batik provided the perfect backdrop for your new finish. The backing is also fun and interesting - a win-win. Edith Head - I remember seeing illustrations of her designs as a youngster.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That gold really works well with your orphan blocks. Congrats on the finish.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh that is an amazing finish!! the fabrics worked just perfectly to set off those fun blocks!! Go you!!
    and I totally saw Edna Mode in your photo!! TOO COOL!!
    Thanks for linking to Finished(or not) Friday!! you are a lovely addition!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fabulous super scrappy finish, Nann!!

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.