Sunday, October 9, 2022

Weekly update: complete, twice over

 

Temperatures in the high 50's and abundant sunshine made this a brilliant fall weekend. 


On Saturday afternoon we went to Ryerson Woods.  The Ryersons were Chicago industrialists who built their weekend farm on 257 acres where they raised Arabian horses.   In 1966 they deeded the property to the Lake Co. Forest Preserve District.  There are several activity centers, including barns and open pastures with a demonstration farm,  Brushwood (the Ryersons' house) used as an event center, several cabins used for environmental education, and miles of trails in restored woodlands.  



How many sunlight-filtering-through-the-leaves photos are too many? 



Left: joe pye weed.  More asters, a bridge, interesting fungus, and a burl. 



There was a concert on the steps at Brushwood. We don't know what the occasion was, but their voices were beautiful.  Stevens listened as I hiked.







I have completed all the designated hikes for Hike Lake County 2022.  I sent in the form and will get a commemorative badge.  (They've had HLC for 25 years.   I began participating in 2020 as a Covid stress relief, so this is my third year.)  I assure you I'll keep on walking and taking photos in the months to come. 


# # # # # # #


The second completion:  ALL the blocks for Entwined.  I will correct the turned block on the right.  


There are a few scraps to refile.

Linking up with Oh Scrap!  Monday Making

 Design Wall Monday

9 comments:

  1. Oh my, Entwined is beautiful. Looks difficult, but it is amazing! Congrats on completing you hikes; that’s a great accomplishment and so great for your health. Your Ryerson Woods sounds a lot like our Wheeler Far. Wheeler is smaller and older (the preserved home was built in the late 1800’s). I loved working there for 4 years, but now we just walk there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow that is a gorgeous top! sort of bargello gone rogue...LOL....lovely woodsy photos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Entwined-WOW, what movement it has!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on meeting your Hike Lake County goal, Nann! That looks like a neat spot for your final hike for the program. I love sunlight through the trees photos! Beautiful quilt top, too - that's a really neat design!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow that quilt has so much movement... I love it!
    You can never have too many photos of beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my - that quilt is fabulous! Such a beautiful geometric look! The HLC is a great idea to get people out exploring the area. Wish we had some interesting locations to hike/walk close by. The closest state park is over an hour away. My daughter and husband take the 3 kids and 2 dogs to hike the state parks around them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Entwined has so much to look at, great pattern, great neutral fabric choices.
    I think you will keep on hiking now that you have done it for three years. I hope there will be new things to see on each of the sites next year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't think there could ever be too many photos of autumn foliage! We're in the midst of a spectacular fall, the colors are much more vibrant than they have been for the last several years. Entwined is a gorgeous quilt top!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love Entwined! There's so much movement with the pattern and the varied background.
    Andrea in MO

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.