Monday, October 31, 2022

Weekly update: Bunco returns, a berry nice walk, and a new start for month-end



We performed our civic duty in this year's important election and voted at Zion City Hall on Friday afternoon.  


On Friday evening the Zion Woman's Club fall Bunco party returned after a two-year Covid hiatus.  (There's something about rolling dice in a church fellowship hall....)  We enjoyed dessert, renewed friendships, and met new people.   I contributed this quilt to the silent auction.   I spent $20 on put-and-take (bag raffle) tickets and won a bottle of flavorful olive oil packaged in a ceramic bowl, two rayon scarves, and a travel tote bag.  We'll find out the proceeds at our club meeting tomorrow (Nov. 1).  







Saturday afternoon was beautiful. We went to Raven Glen  (specifically, the west entrance). What I noticed were the fruits--berries of all sizes from honeysuckle to crabapples.  



# # # # # 

In the studio:  I have a three-ring binder with all the Addicted to Scraps blocks from Quiltmaker. When I filed the new block  I looked back at the series.  (Bonnie began ATS with the Jan/Feb 2010 issue.  Nov/Dec 2022 is #78!)    


Ladder Star was #42 (Nov/Dec 2016).  I decided to give it a try and in the process use some browns and tans.   The blocks are 8-1/2" unfinished.






The block is a variation of Free Trade.  (Photo:  upper left, Marsha McCloskey; upper right, Patchwork Place perpetual calendar; lower left, Bonnie's version.) 

I'm not sure how many I'll make or how I'll set them. For now it's a nice exercise in color combinations.


Linking up with Design Wall Monday   I add a shout-out to Beth Shibley at  Love Laugh Quilt for hosting the Monday Making link up. According to my blog tags, I posted on 354 of them.


6 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a fun weekend. Interesting to hear how long Bonnie's been doing ATS. I always enjoyed looking at them and sometimes making them. But I ended my subscription years ago. Sigh. Looking at all the versions really shows that color placement can make a difference. We voted several weeks ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A fun weekend! I've saved most of the ATS patterns in a binder too, but not for quite as many years as you. Some of her blocks have become regular stash busting patterns for me that I use over and over again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We voted last week! So thankful for that right. Your stars are a neat block! That notebook full of Bonnie's block designs must be a very handy reference.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your mention of having voted brought back memories of voting in the 'old days' of no early voting. My first few times voting involved walking to the end of our street in Buffalo where the temporary wooden voting station was set up. It strongly resembled a railroad freight car only smaller. We would all line up outside and wait our turn to enter and cast our vote. Then there was the country grange hall in Western Washington state, various elementary school hallways, and now the local town hall/fire station. All of these locales had the advantage of camaraderie and meeting new neighbors, catching up on some of the latest news. I always missed that when we lived in Oregon where there was only mail-in balloting. Although the polls are open here I'll wait until next Tuesday, just to preserve the tradition and memories for a bit longer. No longer subscribe to any magazines but have a big collection of patterns gleaned from my old magazines before purging them. I suspect most quilters do something similar.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like you had a busy, but fun weekend. Love the Ladder Star blocks. Those are going to make a very fun quilt. Happy stitching this week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I ate some red berries a few years ago and they were yummy. Haven't found them again. Others are bitter and disgusting :-( I have seen some persimmon but kinda out of reach. I love the secondary pattern in the Ladder Stars. Will walk to the voting location on Tuesday morning before work. Walk to Vote - two good deeds in one fell swoop :-D

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.