Saturday, September 10, 2022

Wisconsin Quilt Expo 2022

 The Wisconsin Quilt Expo was back in person this weekend at the Alliant Center on the south edge of Madison.  PBS Wisconsin and Nancy Zieman Productions have hosted the show for many years.    I joined a bus trip organized by a local quilt shop -- in fact, we filled two coach buses.  It's so much easier to let someone else drive but it does make for a long day.  I picked up Irene at 6:15 and we were at the Kenosha County Center by 6:45. Departure 7 a.m., return 7 p.m., and then a half hour back home.



Here are a few of the quilts on exhibit. 

(Lower left is Best in Show.) 









My quilt, Crown of Thorns, was entry #33. 






Special exhibits included Cherrywood's tribute to Princess Diana; a botanical challenge; modern mini quilts, the Ken Burns collection, and the Elm Creek collection. 





 Stevens and I saw the Ken Burns exhibit in Peoria last spring. More here




Jennifer Chiaverini lives in Madison. She was scheduled for several programs.  I was able to get ticket for the afternoon presentation. She talked about her quilting and her books -- the quilt novels, the quilt patterns, and her acclaimed historical fiction.






Her first-ever library program was at my library back in 1999 when Quilter's Apprentice was first published. 

Her husband and older son helped show the quilts. I'm sorry I didn't get a picture.  Her son was "in production," as Jennifer said, at that library visit. 







Magpie friend Anna joined Irene and me at lunch.


Karen is active with Quilts of Valor-Wisconsin. We participated in the Block Swappers group for many years. 












I really did give some thought to fabric I actually need but my mind was blown by the overload of all the vendors' wares.  I got  batiks (6 one-yard pieces for $50, so I got 12), a Free Spirit assortment for $7/yard (a loss leader for a vendor who was there to sell a super-duper fusible web--I just bought the fabric), and 6 half-yard pieces of Australian prints.  

(The pattern designer had them $12 each or 3 for $30. Irene got two and I got this daisy.)

It was a great day!

2 comments:

  1. Wish I could have been there. It's been a long time since I was at a show. Glad you were able to attend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely photo of you and your quilt! And that reminds me that I have that Elm Creek Sampler book but don't think I even started the sampler. I had been making a CW sampler as well as Farmer's Wife sampler at the time (neither finished) and think I got sampler burn out.

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.