Sunday, September 11, 2022

Weekly update: scrap infusion and first draft


 Saturday was gorgeous!  I walked the 2.2 mile Dunes Trail   at Illinois Beach State Park.  The monarch migration is underway as this story explains. (In sharp contrast it's been raining all day today--Sunday. No walks! I'm catching up on homework at the computer.)

Saturday evening we enjoyed Sultans of String, the first performance of the season for the Lake County Community Concert Assn. in the auditorium at Waukegan High School.  

# # # # # 


"Would you like some scraps?" Barb emailed me.  She is helping our mutual friend  Dorothy downsize as Dorothy and her husband prepare to move to assisted living.  Of course I could not resist. At the guild meeting Wednesday Barb handed over several bags and several boxes. 

There are a lot of small pieces.   Dorothy does a lot of intricate applique (she's been to many Elly Sienkiewicz Baltimore Album retreats) and miniature paper piecing.  I've sorted out some for me, some to give away, and a lot for textile recycling.   A box was filled with patterns acquired on many quilt shop visits. There's a stack of magazines including QuiltMania.   I still have a big tub to go through.


Under the needle:  I'm about 3/4 through quilting the churn dashes (see Wednesday's post).  

On the design wall:  first look at the blocks for one of the Magpie quilts, my OMG for this month.

Another busy week ahead with online and in-person meetings.

Linking up with Oh Scrap!  Monday Making Design Wall Monday

P.S.  One of Dorothy's applique blocks from among the scraps.  

10 comments:

  1. So very happy for you that all your events are back.....whattaloadoscraps!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful monarch photo, Nann! Your collection of star blocks is fun on the design wall, too. Dorothy's applique is lovely and intricate! Is she no longer able to sew like that? With my mom (who taught me to sew and was a quilter)now in assisted living, and no longer very active in any way, I try to picture myself at that age - giving up sewing would be so hard!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh it's so much fun going through scraps! I love the applique block you found. That Magpie is GORGEOUS!!! Great photo of the butterfly! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your star blocks are so colorful and pretty together! Your friend's applique work is terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Going through scraps is fun, but it's also a lot of work. Bless you for doing that for your friend!
    Andrea in MO

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's great that you are able to get to events again. I miss those more intimate concerts from living in a smaller town. Nothing intimate about a concert in the new stadiums.
    What beautiful work Dorothy did and the little block will make a good keepsake to add into your next quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Is that a different kind of Liatris (Blazing Star) with the Monarch? I think that is one I tried starting from seed and not a single seed started.
    Oh gosh! I love the variety of stars. Those are going to be a couple of gorgeous quilts. I had to look up the book Variable Star since I had not heard of it before. I don't read much scifi.
    And,, oh, the joy of scraps!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a treasure trove you have received! It's a lot of work to go through, but contains so many treats!

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.