Monday, May 30, 2022

Weekly update: a few more wildflowers, I won!, meeting the challenge, and reading

 


Wildflowers and beavers at Sedge Meadow Forest Preserve along the Des Plaines River.

Blue-eyed grass, mayapple, Atlantic camas /wild hyacinth. Mayapple leaf, crane's bill/wild geranium, golden ragwort. Canadian anemone, star-of-Bethlehem (an invasive garden escapee), golden Alexander. 


The beavers are active in the evening and the early morning when the forest preserve is closed.  I'd love to catch a glimpse of them!  (Lower right photo shows fungus neatly lined up in the grooves of the tree bark.) 


This is a phenomenon known as witches' broom. Left: left over from last year. Right: this year. 

This explains the cause.

# # # # # # #







Everyone in town turns out for the fire department pancake breakfast on the Sunday of Memorial Day weekend.  I spent $20 on tickets for the 50/50 raffle and I won!   I got the call after church and walked right down to collect my winnings. 


# # # # # # #

The Stashbusters announced a challenge for June:   churn dashes of the maker's choice in memory of long-time SB Marianne, who passed away in 2020.  (This post is about the day I got to visit her, along with Grace and Barbara.)  


 By coincidence this past week I began sewing 6" churn dash blocks out of Christmas reds and greens. 

I'm aiming for 90 blocks.  (This is a rough draft. I have corrected the misplaced red churn (fourth from right, fourth row.)


# # # # # # #


Kim Michele Richardson tackles social issues of mid-50s Kentucky including , interracial marriage, child welfare, domestic violence, women in the workforce,and the power of books and reading. Honey Lovett is the daughter of Cussy Mary, the Book Woman of Troublesome Creek, and displays her mother’s determination and resilience.  Though this can stand alone, it is a worthy sequel to the 2019 Book Woman debut. 
 
Linking up with Oh Scrap!    Monday Making   Design Wall Monday   

10 comments:

  1. loving your churn dash blocks....and you won again!!! you are the luckiest person i know...born with a 4-leaf clover in your fist i do believe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved the Book Woman of Troublesome Creek! Will have to put the sequel on my list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love a churn dash! Just might need to make some.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on your win! The churn dash blocks look great. Happy stitching this week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How fun to win the prize! Love the beaver pics, none here that I am aware of in SoCal! Churn Dash has always been a favorite block of mine. Yours look great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I knew Marianne years ago from some online group. And, I know both Barbara and Grace. Small world. I didn't realize Marianne had died, I'm sorry to hear of it. I should see if I am still listed as a member of Stashbusters. Is it on Groups.io now?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats! on winning the 50/50 prize. :) Your Christmas scrappy Churn Dash blocks are going to make a wonderful Christmas quilt. I just bought "The Book Woman's Daughter" and am looking forward to reading it. I loved "The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek" as well as other books by this author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My mom loved Book woman of troublesome creek. I'll have to tell her of the new book. Churn dashes look great.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pretty flowers...... Those beavers sure do build a big home.......
    Congrats on the win.....
    Lovely churn dash blocks....... Have fun with your stashbuster group........

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats on your win. The churn dashes are looking good. Did you start them before the project?

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.