Sunday, July 12, 2020

Weekly update: border decision and letting the squirrel out of the box




Brisk northeasterly winds brought rolling waves to the lake today.  The water temperature was a comfortable 72 degrees.


I have water shoes with perforated soles so I can wade and walk over the pebbles in comfort.




1.7" of rain mid-week was great for wildflowers as well as lawns and gardens.  (These wildflowers are in Illinois Beach State Park.)

Chicory, thistle (with an orange butterfly), butterfly weed.
Queen Anne's lace, monarda, purple prairie clover.
Lead plant, mullein (6' tall!), yucca.


# # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # #
In the studio:

I've been mulling over border designs for the GITP quilt.  I had flying geese in mind and made 80 blue and 80 green.  But long rows seemed skimpy.  And should I alternate colors or do segments (four green, four blue, etc.)?





Then I had a WWBD? (what would Bonnie (Hunter) do?) inspiration.














The double rows will require 328 geese so I'm cutting and sewing more.  (As of this writing I've finished the green ones and have just begun the blues.)








And the squirrel in the box?

A while ago I began making 9" homespun churn dash blocks.  I completed one and finished the HSTs for several more.

I don't know how many blocks I'll make nor how I'll set them. Playing in my homespun stash is a nice diversion from the GITP project.



Linking up with Oh Scrap!
Monday Making
 Design Wall Monday

# # # # # # # # # # # # # # #
This week's reading:  The Giver of Stars is the second novel about the pack horse librarians of Kentucky.  (The  Pack Horse Library Project was a WPA program to deliver books and magazines to people in the rural mountain country of eastern Kentucky.)  Both the first novel, The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek, and Giver of Stars have the pack horse librarians and the setting in common but the characters and the sub-stories are different.  I enjoyed both!

I brought the advance copy of Wild Nights back from ALA in 2017. My husband read it right away. I finally got around to it this week.  Our norm for sleeping conditions -- seven to eight hours of uninterrupted, continuous sleep,  bed-sharing only by consenting adults, children in their own beds and mostly in their own bedrooms -- is a North American and western European phenomenon developed in the 19th century.  A new way to think about what we think of as "how it is supposed to be."


17 comments:

  1. I like the way your geese border is looking. Coincidence- I started working with my homespuns this weekend as well. Not churn dashes, though. I did just finish 48 batik churn dash blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The double geese border is awesome, I'm going to have to try that someday. Love the homespun churn dash blocks, look so rustic. Happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow...gorgeous border there nann...and love those churn dash blocks...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hamm, I never thought of putting geese in my JitP border ... and it's not to late to start!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been wanting to someday play in my homespuns but can't decide on what pattern to use. I'll be watching your progress on your churn dashes. I really like the double geese border, yes more work but also more pretties!

    ReplyDelete
  6. your proposed geese borders will be lovely...lots of parts ;)))
    hugs from afar Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  7. really lovely with any border - thanks for the idea for shirts

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always read your posts for the quilting, but it was your books today that made me really need to leave a comment! I read The Giver of Stars awhile back and loved it! Just finished The Book Woman the other day for my book club's discussion (via Zoom) today. I loved it just as much, and learned from it. It's so fascinating that the author wove the history of the Blue Fugates in with the Pack Horse Librarians! Thanks for the other book recommendation, too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, all those flying geese is one way to keep busy! I'm pretty sure I am too lazy to do that. Homespuns have been in the back of my mind for several months. I'd like to do something like to dive into them to try to use them up. Do you need more? hahahahaha...

    ReplyDelete
  10. The FG look really nice and a good change up from the lines! I’ve been busy in homespun too for a quick finish I need. I really liked both the JoJo Meyers books. I can’t imagine the hardships they endured.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The Pack Horse Library sounds intriguing. And the border plan is fabulous for those green and blue blocks. That will be a stunning quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Pretty flowers and lake photos. Love the GITP solution, very clever. Your homespun churn dash are charming as well. Enjoy your stitching time and reading time.

    ReplyDelete
  13. All your quilt projects look delightful. Good plan for the new border. I wish we could get out as much as you but at least I can enjoy your photos. Thanks for the book recommendations.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great idea for the border.
    I have a homespun UFO - 16 patches and Sawtooth Stars like Lincoln Museum Quilt. I've been thinking about getting back to it. I like those Churn Dashes.

    Now I would call some of those wildflowers weeds if they popped up in my garden like they often do.

    Last month Book Woman of Troublesome Creek was one of the books I read and enjoyed. I knew nothing of the blue people of KY or the WPA library program before reading the book. I found it all very interesting. I was not sure if I wanted to read the Giver of Stars because I had seen there was a lot of controversy surrounding it and plagiarism.

    I'm now reading Chase the Wild Pigeons by John Gschwend. I do most of my reading in the middle of the night when I can't sleep so I've been reading about a book a week lately.



    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your churn dash variation! And the pack horse librarian books sound right up my alley - gonna check those out!

    ReplyDelete
  16. A lovely fresh border for your quilt, those flying geese look great! Thanks for the book recommendations.

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.