Sunday, July 19, 2020

Weekly update: plaid churn dash progress

I knew about Turk's Cap lilies from the wildflower book but I'd never seen them in the field until this week. They're much smaller than hybrid lilies. 

(Photos taken at Illinois Beach State Park.)

# # # # # # # # # #


In the studio:   I pieced the backing for the Goose in the Pond quilt. (See the flimsy in the previous post.)  I used 52 of the extra flying geese as an insert strip.  (8-1/2 yards by weight. This will be a heavy quilt.)  I buy Warm & Natural by the bolt which is 90" wide, so I'll have the piece the batting, too.

GITP is my One Monthly Goal. Now that I have achieved it I have turned my attention to the homespun churn dashes that I rediscovered last week.  I made two dozen more and put them on the design wall. I thought about using homespun 9-patches for sashing -- I had a box of them on the shelf with the homespun stash. Then I had another idea.    I auditioned a couple of homespuns for the squares in the alternate blocks and this turquoise/brown had the right density and medium tone.  And I have enough of it!

Here's the work in progress.

Linking up with
Oh Scrap!
Monday Making
 Design Wall Monday


# # # # # # # #










The Beauty of Your Face was outstanding.  Afar is a Palestinian-American school principal who is threatened by a shooter. The standoff alternates with her family story.
Hannah's War is a novel based on the experience of Austrian-born physicist Lise Meitner who escaped Nazi Germany for the U.S. and worked on the Manhattan Project.
A conspiracy of Bones is the latest in the popular Temperance Brennan series. It's fast-paced and it kept my attention.

TO QUILT GRANDMA:  I appreciate your comments on my blog posts but you're no-reply!  If you could provide your email address then I can respond.




15 comments:

  1. Love the direction your churn dash too. That is going to be wonderful. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
  2. loving your plaid project...the alternate blocks really take the ho-hum out of it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this version of churn dashes with the 9 patch chain, Nann. or maybe its the fabrics that play so nicely together. Have a great week !

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's going to be stunning top! I love to just look at it and let my eye travel and rest, travel and rest. I also have a drawer of over 180 9-patches (90+ of dark centers, 90+ of light), and I'm going to keep this layout in mind!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is going to be a great quilt, heavy, but great. I wonder how many no reply commenters realize we'd love to answer them but just can't. Sigh. Hopefully your no reply person will figure it out. Have a great week. Congrats on finishing your OMG.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What unusual lilies--your pic with the clouds is lovely.
    Love Churn Dash blocks always. Glad stash provided what was needed to flesh out a full quilt. Happy Quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the combination of churn dash (interesting color placement) and homespun with 9-patches. It is just delightful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I love the Double 9 Patch as an alternate block for your Churn Dashes. In fact wouldn't that make a nice alternate block for a lot of blocks? Hmmmmm....

    I used to have a bunch of Turk's Cap lilies. Deer and rabbit seem to have done away with almost all my lilies except daylilies. I especially loved the oriental lilies like Stargazer. (Sigh!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful plan for the Churn Dash. The double nine-patches add so much, especially with the homespun. Thanks for the book recommendations again.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pretty Lily.
    Love your churn dash blocks. Combining them with nine patches looks great too!
    I like your shout out to QuiltGrama - I've tried in vain to get her email too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your quilts. I have those lilies in my garden, but they were always called tiger lilies and grew in my grandmothers flowers. They are very hardy and slowly multiply. Wonderful memories.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your top is to die for! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It is funny how a different layout/combination of blocks makes the original pattern almost unrecognizable. I love how your churn dash quilt has evolved... working with what you have and trying new combinations.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You've got two beautiful projects in the works. Love those churn dash blocks! Thank you for the recommendations on the books. I'm looking for something new to engage my brain when the sewing room doesn't.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just found your site. What a great idea for the homespuns! I have been collecting shirts so will save this idea.

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.