Monday, April 6, 2020

Weekly update: keeping busy



Here are 3.5" rail fences and 3.5" HSTs in light blue, the RSC color for April.

I have squares and strips cut for other RSC colors but right now I'm busy making masks.

So far I've made 27.   The first batch used up the small amount of 1/4" elastic I had on hand.  There wasn't any elastic left at Wal-Mart and I just don't want to deal with online ordering.

Instead I found a pattern

 for mask with ties and a filter pocket . A coffee filter will work.  I bought "chenille craft sticks," aka pipe cleaners, for the wire nose bridge.  I had accumulated several packages of bias tape (poly/cotton -- as the labels say, Kodel Polyester -- so I wouldn't use it for quilting) that works just find for the ties.  I'm also using regular quilting cotton for the ties. Though those aren't cut on the bias I'm pulling the 2"xWOF strips through a bias tape maker which folds them nicely (easy to press).






This old label (6 yards for 15 cents) and project card were in the box with the 1980's poly/cotton packages.

I've sent masks to family in New Hampshire and will sent some to a friend in New York.  Others will be donated locally.   My goal is to use up all the pipe cleaners.

# # # # # # # # #


On Sunday afternoon we went to Van Patten Woods, one of the Lake County Forest Preserves. There were a lot of people out. Everyone was socially-distanced.  Stevens waited in the car while I walked around Sterling Lake.


Horsetails -- new growth amid the old






 Linking up with   Oh Scrap!
Monday Making
Design Wall Monday
Scrap Happy Saturday

P.S.  This encouraging message was on a sidewalk in our neighborhood.







Hello friend

Stay Safe

Be Kind












Stay active



Stay healthy














Read every day


It will be over soon!

7 comments:

  1. couldn't say it any better...stay well my friend...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Masks are time consuming but worth doing. I prefer the ties on masks as they fit better for all different size heads. I'm doing mine much like you are. And, sending them off to family. Not much other quilting is getting done though. I need to work toward balance. I have some of those same bias packages from my grandmother. Keep staying safe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am going to have to make some masks, too; thanks for linking to the pattern you’re usi no. Love the sidewalk encouragement, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. After making about 30 masks total (including the last four today for family), I also donated a big bag of fabric pieces, (mostly FQs and half yards) to a state group making masks. They had a collection box in our neighborhood. I was also able to donate 2/3 of my large shoeboxful of bias tape to them too. YAY! Like yours, some packages dated back to “prehistoric” times, LOL. Glad you were able to get out and enjoy some walking and fresh air. I’m looking forward to doing that tomorrow myself! xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice job on working thru some of those old supplies, Nann!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've managed to cull my stash of all the weird tapes too. Many sizes of bias tape have been made into ties, as well as a package of hem facing tape (1-3/4" wide). I ironed that open, cut the width in half, then ran the strips through my bias tape maker tool. For some reason, I had a bunch of 1/4" twill tape packages too--they're now living happily as ties on several more masks.

    My best friend mailed me all her random bias tape packages as well. Several weeks ago I visited her (delivering 2 masks) and came home with a tote bag full of unwanted spools of thread. She's been quite happy to shed herself of all the sewing detritus she managed to collect over the decades.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mask making is taking up my time now, too.I wish I had more pipe cleaners. I'm making the sleeve for it but telling people to put their own twist in. Like you, the fabric ties are my favorite but I also made many with t-shirt yarn for tying. I had to make tube ends, though. DH likes those better because there's only one tie.

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.