Sunday, April 12, 2020

Weekly update: Happy Easter! and a week of masks

This was certainly the most unusual Holy Week, wasn't it?  Seders by Zoom (a new meaning for "Why is this night different from other nights?").  No Maundy Thursday communion, Good Friday commemoration, or Easter Sunday service.

We did have Easter dinner: lamb and asparagus and new potatoes; spinach/orange/red onion salad. Citrus ricotta cheesecake for dessert.

The vintage Simtex tablecloth escaped the tote bag frenzy of January.  The tulips were a gift from a friend who got one of the masks. The daffodils are from our garden.

Did I say masks?


credit: Floraltees.net
Mask-making has been my preoccupation this week. I set out to make 100 and I'm up to 135 with a commitment for another 10.  I offered them to friends in AAUW, Zion Woman's Club, P.E.O., and Rotary, blithely saying that any left over would be offered to local agencies. But there aren't any left over.  A Rotarian asked for three for her family and ten for one of her friends who works with the disabled. An AAUW who supervises a ward at the VA hospital asked for 25 for her frontline (non medical) staff.  Fifteen to our housecleaner (who isn't cleaning our house) to distribute to the elderly in her neighborhood. The high school superintendent said that their bus drivers are going to deliver meals and could I provide 40?   Another Rotarian gave me enough elastic for a dozen--now I'm making them with ties.  (The pink slips in the bags say, "Nose piece contains metal. Do not put in microwave oven.   Use a coffee filter in the filter pocket." ) 

Along the way I've streamlined the process.  A #16 needle punches through the bulky pleats.  I use a zigzag stitch to anchor the pipe cleaner (nose piece).  I cut the ties 2" wide because that's easier than the 1-3/4" in the instructions -- 2" assures coverage of both sides. I try to make five masks before changing thread/bobbin color.  But I still can't help making design decisions:  "Does this fabric work as the lining for this other fabric?" "Are these prints TOO girly?"....and "Can I bear to cut this up?  Maybe I should save it."

I'm glad to contribute to the well-being of society . . . but I really, really want to sew something else.

Linking up with Oh Scrap!
Monday Making
Design Wall Monday




P.S.  Easter, 1986:  Auburn, Maine.  (The earrings and the necklace still fit!)




11 comments:

  1. ROFL!! Thanks for the humor at your own expense. I resemble that remark (and could say the same about my own earrings and necklace!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had filet for dinner because Alex had picked up a couple on sale. We'll have lamburgers tomorrow night on Easter Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your comment about necklace and ear rings! I’m in the same boat. Tired of making masks although my count is nothing like yours. I’ve been doing jigsaw puzzles to keep from going completely squirrelly ! Stay well !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow that is a lot of stitching time on masks! How generous. I find it hard not to be picky about color combinations too. I use a #14 needle and that is working for me. I am making the Shannon Fabrics mask for some as it includes three sizes, a few of our kids' friends have requested masks for their littles. That pattern calls for stitching RST and turning the skinny ties, but I have just been making mine bias tape style.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on your community benefit sewing... mask sewing for those you might not know! That I quite a lot of masks! We live out in the country, and I have not made one yet, but I do wear disposable gloves any time I go shopping.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My mother said she would also make masks but had to clear her sewing area and gather the material first. I made about a dozen and I am already tired of making them. I guess I will keep trying though. I have already given away the ones I made.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad I'm not alone... in the mask making department. I've been giving them to family and friends and they know more people who'd like some. It's good to help.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, you’ve made a lot of masks! Good on you! I think my total was about 50 over 2 weeks or so. I’m done now (until/unless someone asks, but I’m keeping a low profile, LOL. Those old Easter pix were great! And I love your vintage tablecloth. I should whip mine out to use, too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I applaud tour mask making efforts. I have found it tedious but worthwhile. The quilt projects will be there!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You sound like me. I do like to make things "go" together. I quit trying to swap out thread colors and I'm basically sewing with grey. I can't even find any beige thread in my collection. But I am trying to use smaller pieces to move out of the stash. I have a different mask pattern. No pleats, you make a channel to push the ties through and tie it on the top of the head with a loop around the neck. It gathers at the sides. The first one I tried was a bit too stiff so didn't gather nicely. The next one worked pretty well. Sewing was all of about 15 minutes. If you have some bias tape or shoe laces it would be super fast and easy. Let me know if you want the instructions.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Keep up the great work in making masks! The amount you have completed is awesome!

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.