Sunday, March 8, 2020

Weekly update: Luncheon winnings and a concert, RSC teal, Frolic dispatched, and the next project


The Lake County Women's Coalition Women's History Month Celebration was Saturday. The theme was "Valiant Women of the Vote in Lake County."  The Zion Woman's Club honoree was my friend and former coworker Rosemary who spearheaded the voter registration program at the library. The AAUW honoree was Sally who has coordinated AAUW's voter registration program and moderated many candidate forums.

There is a silent auction and raffle to raise funds for LCWC scholarships for women over 30 studying at the College of Lake County. They awarded three this year.

I contributed Crystal Chain (which I made a couple of years ago) and a tote bag of advance reader copies (books from ALA) to the auction which brought in a respectable $250.00. I bought $30 in raffle tickets and won $100 in the split-the-pot drawing and a $50 Visa gift card!










# # # # # #
Saturday evening DH and I enjoyed Ladysmith Black Mambazo in concert. We'd seen them once before -- at Concordia College in Moorhead, MN, back in 1996.  Wonderful a cappella singing and such energy!





# # # # # #

I made teal/aqua HSTs and rail fence units for the March Rainbow Scrap Challenge.





I made a quick tote bag for an upcoming event.
(I have got to remember to make the panels wide rather than tall!)



Here is Frolic as a flimsy. I added a 2-1/2" outer border to stabilize the edges.  I pieced the back (no photo) and took top/back/batting to Barb-the-quilter.   My March OMG is accomplished!
I sorted out and filed all the leftover units (there were a lot) and reshelved the yardage.

Now I am auditioning the Little Windows blocks contributed by the Biblioquilters. This is one of the 2020 auction quilts.

I came up with three settings and asked for opinions.  Can you guess which one the FB groups preferred? Can you guess which one I'll use?


Linking up with
RSC Scrap Happy Saturday
Oh Scrap!
 Monday Making
 Design Wall Monday

13 comments:

  1. nice frolic you lucky gal....again! love the on point version best but the blocks are very pretty...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Frolic is lovely! Not sure which setting I like best for little windows. The middle one looks like high rise apartments. There aren’t any bad ones!

    ReplyDelete
  3. congrats to you for frolic - it looks great

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't done much more than save all the frolic pattern directions. So, seeing your border made me go OOH -- I like that border treatment. Now, eventually I'd like to pull out my red Talking Turkey by BH that I've shrunk down to 9 blocks and now needs a border. I'm wondering if I can use this same idea and whether it will look good or not. I'm sure I can make it fit somehow!

    ReplyDelete
  5. All your quilts are beautiful! I can add your crystal chain to my list of HST arrangements. I really like it!

    And I would have to say I like the final arrangement of Little Windows blocks with the light and dark columns.

    ReplyDelete
  6. On point or in columns for the new quilt. Congrats on your auction win and getting Frolic put together!! I really like that lovely tote you made. I know that I would be thrilled to receive it. The recipient will be SEW lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on finishing that flimsy!!! PHEW that one is huge, Ia m sure. it is nice to celebrate with a win :-) Knowing the quilty people, they'd prefer the more labor-intensive layout of on-point blocks. Are you going to listen to them or do your own thing?

    ReplyDelete
  8. That crystal chain looks lovely. I have never seen that before. Congrats on Frolic, it felt like a marathon, didn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats on Frolic. What a beauty the mystery quilt was this year.

    In re the three layouts...When I first glanced at all three I liked the dark/light column one because it looked like buildings with windows. Then when I started studying all three I decided I liked all of them but if I had to pick one I would pick the last one with alternating light/dark blocks. Looking forward to what group picked and what you decided.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have been busy both with quilting and interacting with your community. I'm always delighted to see alternate layouts posted. It's educational for newer quilters to see what a difference rearranging makes. I like settings on point but the borders are a pain at times. The one on the right looks like a dense metropolitan area.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would guess the on point version is liked best, and I like it and also like the far right arrangement. The middle arrangement doesn't do anything for me, though. Which design did you choose? Congrats on winning the drawings at your meeting. You contributed and got rewarded.....win/win. Judy

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your Crystal Chains quilt, so pretty. Fantastic Frolic flimsy. Sounds like you had a full & fun week!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats on finishing your frolicking flimsy (or flimsy Frolic). Lovely! We really like Ladysmith Black Mambazo too (have a CD). So much good stuff going on at your place!

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.