Sunday, March 1, 2020

Weekly update: February stash report, March plans, and something new

Rabbit, rabbit! Here's the March Hare to bring in the new month.

(The February 28 Google doodle commemorated Sir John Tenniel's 200th birthday)

The GFWC-IL Tenth District art show/luncheon was Wednesday.   I entered Crown of Thorns in
Category 5 (Embroidery, Quilting, Tatting) (a strange combination, considering that "wall hangings" is a separate category) and won second place.  P.E.O. friends Jeannine and Nancy, both members of the Antioch Woman's Club, won ribbons, as did Regina and Judy who are fellow members of the Zion Woman's Club (the one I belong to).

Stash report for February:
Fabric OUT: 73-1/8 yards
Fabric IN: 83-3/4 yards, $350, avg. $4.19/yd

YTD fabric OUT: 169 yards
YTD fabric IN: 201-1/2 yards, $405, average $1.92/yd


Frolic in the homestretch, March 1
More fabric came in than went out in February. I took advantage of the final days of a local Joann's store closing (they gave up their lease) -- 20% off 70% reductions was a good deal!  And, as I showed in the previous post, I couldn't resist the vendor mall at QuiltCon.   But I sent two boxes of random scraps to quilting friends that accounted for 40 yards out!

My OMG for February was to assemble the blocks for Frolic.  I managed to do that and also to set them.  My OMG for March is to add the borders, prepare the backing, and deliver it to Barb J., the long-armer. Frolic will be the 2020 AAUW spring raffle quilt and ticket sales will begin with the AAUW Fellows Luncheon on April 13.  HERE is the OMG March link up. 

Here is this week's spontaneous creation (confession: I was postponing Frolic).  I discovered that piecing slab blocks is an easy and somewhat addictive way to deal with scraps.   I've set them several ways:  here and here and here and here.  I opened a box with 6-1/2" x 9-1/2" batik slabs and put them on the design wall.  I tried this arrangement -- sort of a descending rail fence -- but it didn't appeal to me.  I tried another arrangement -- four slabs around a square -- and that worked!  (62 x 72; 3-3/4 yards, by weight.)

Linking up with other quilters:
Oh, Scrap!
 Design Wall Monday
 Monday Making 

10 comments:

  1. nann you are the luckiest person i know...LOL! and deliciously beautiful scrap quilt...

    ReplyDelete
  2. great idea to make slab blocks to sew up some scraps. I agree, there are lots of layouts for them. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a good way to use up scraps. I like both of your settings. The red is so cheerful while the turquoise is simply relaxing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your slabs around the square top! I’d like to try that with my multi-colored scraps that don’t fit into a particular quilt category.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think calculating yardage in a top by weight is very accurate. 62 x 72 is 2 yards of 62" fabric and that is without cutting it up and having seam allowances on the back so 3/4 yard is way under the real amount.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ^^^ I corrected the typographical error. I wrote "-3/4" yards rather than "3-3/4" yards.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on your ribbon! It is a beautiful quilt. And I agree the pieced background does make it sparkle!

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOVE those Crumb blocks and the way you postponed frolic ( That is something I totally understand!!) Congrats on your win too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Frolicing. Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and good luck on your project.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love, love, LOVE that new Slab Crumb quilt!!! You brought a bit of order to the chaos. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.