Wednesday, January 1, 2020

The Annual Reckoning, looking back,and looking ahead

Postmarked  in Valley City, N.Dak. 12/28/1921 and sent to Mrs. F. Buttke, Embden, N. Dak.  "Got home O.K. Did open box from you and I thank you so very kindly for the most wonderful Gift. They're just beautiful. We are so busy celebrating out here we hardly find time to sleep. Lovingly, Miss Johnson."  Card published by The Gibson Art Company, Cincinnati, O. (later Gibson Greeting Cards; assets acquired by American Greetings in 1999). 

I appreciate all the compliments on the scrappy triangles quilt that I began last weekend. I finished quilting and binding it during our New Year's Eve TV-watching.  (No partying for us!)

The December stash report:
Fabric IN  25-3/4 yards, $78.39
Fabric OUT:  98-1/8 yards
Net reduction: 72-2-3/8
...that reduction includes a big bag of trimmings (22 yards by weight), a box that I sent to Cathy (who has already put some of the orphan blocks to use here), and extras that I sent to ALABQ project coordinators.

This is the 22nd  edition of my Annual Reckoning.  I am delighted that more fabric went out than came in.  (It's "out" if it's sewn, given away, or thrown away. It's "in" if it was purchased with cash/credit/gift card, or won, or received as a gift. Books, notions, tools, and other accessories aren't tracked.)  I pride myself on bargains so I'm dismayed by the dollar amount.
To summarize my quilting activity for 2019:  I finished 20 quilts51 tote bags, and 7 wall hangings and mug rugs.  I sold 10 flimsies (unquilted tops).   I kept up with One Monthly Goal and Block Lotto.  I coordinated quilts for the ALA Biblioquilters.   I donated finished quilts for fundraisers for AAUW, Zion Woman's Club, Rotary, Coalition for Healthy Communities, and Lake County Symphony Orchestra.  As of this writing the UFO box has four flimsies from 2018 and earlier and six flimsies from 2019. 

I didn't fare well with my other goals.  I did not download EQ8.  I did not make a garment. I still haven't inserted a zipper into anything. I bought a set of Westalee rulers and the proper presser foot but I haven't taken them out of the package.  I will keep these on the back burner. Meanwhile, I plan to use more of what I have, acquire less, seek bargains, and keep my quilting enjoyable and rewarding in 2020.


P.S. I used to count the spools I emptied.  Now I just toss them in a bag and recycle them at the new year.





12 comments:

  1. A wonderful year you had!

    Happy 2020! May your quilting prowess be Blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You had a great year and a wonderful last minute finish! Every year I think I will keep track of fabric in/out but I drop it after a month or two.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a lot of spools and finished projects! I plan to keep track of my purchases for the first time this year. More to be mindful than to limit purchases although I did buy a lot of fabric at the end of 2018 and throughout 2019 and I need to use more of it! I hope your New Year is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy New Year! You had a productive year. I’m quite impressed. I’m not one who keeps track of fabric but I’m sure it would be worthwhile. I think I’m afraid to acknowledge what comes in and how little goes out! Happy stitching in the new decade.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't tally yardage in and out or expenses. Nann sent me fabric!
    In 2019 I finished 14 wallhangings, 1 lap quilt, 7 throws, 8 pillowcases, 2 hot pads, 1 tablerunner, 1 kid's quilt, and 2 blocks for group quilts.
    With 9 weeks in bed and not a stitch taken in December until I finished binding a quilt on New Years Eve, not too bad, I think.
    I did count my spools emptied - all 5 of them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. sure makes me feel like a sloth...but i don't machine quilt so it's ok...and they are all beautiful too, so kudos to you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. But, but...did you say "Rabbit Rabbit" first thing today? (I managed to remember, for once!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You sure are the queen of bargains! And thanks for sharing some of those bargains and some fun quilt names. Happy New Year to you! Hope we all have a scrap busting year!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have found many different places that appreciate your work and help good causes, Nann. Congratulations. Good luck using the rulers and making an article of clothing next year.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think you had a great year! You are one of the busiest people I know!. I think I’ll try keeping track of my yardage in and out in 2020 too - thanks for the kick in the pants! Happy New Year 2020!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, you have found some great bargains in fabric, but the annual tally is still eye opening. Eye opening in the sense that I don’t find those kinds of bargains so I shudder to think what my annual spending actually is! Time to put the brakes on my shopping and start tracking my in/out. Thanks for the insight!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just found you via your comment on B Brackman's blog. I must say, this is impressive! Not only the score at estate sales etc. but how much you've actually used. And that you keep track - I'm wowed! Good job! 😊

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.