Sunday, December 29, 2019

Weekly update: Frolic 5, a bargain, and the triangle boxes

Christmas week has had extraordinarily mild temperatures.  This was the sunrise on December 25.

We went to my sister's house for Christmas dinner.  No photos, just a good visit.











I enjoyed a beach walk on December 26.



# # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # #

Frolic, Part 5.  Easy-peasy.  I predict the next part will involve some assembly.

The stacking Snapware boxes come in handy for the mystery quilt clues.

I dropped a box off at Salvation Army and went in the store to see if there was anything interesting.  This delicious Free Spirit print  had been made into four "curtains"--the rod pocket and bottom/side hems had been fastened down with fusible web.  Ten yards in all for $8.50 with sales tax. I think I've found the backing for Frolic.


When I have leftover right-angle triangles I toss them into a shoebox. Every so often I sew a bunch of them into triangle-squares (HSTs). Both boxes were getting pretty full so I thought I'd take stock of those I'd sewn.








Here's how they sorted out: from 1-1/2" to 4-1/2".   There were more 3-1/2" (upper center) than any other.

I have boxes for 2" and 2-1/2" so I added these to those.  I put the larger and smaller sizes into ziploc bags.











 I kept the 2" box out and began piecing. Look what happened!  The blocks are 4.5" finished.   The setting fabric is a recent acquisition -- a circa 1980's Peter Pan ditsy print that I got at a rummage sale (3-3/8 yds for fifty cents).   84 x 68.

I'll post my Annual Reckoning in a couple of days.  Meanwhile, I'm joining other bloggers in the weekly link ups.
Oh Scrap!
Monday Making
 Design Wall Monday 

13 comments:

  1. You did good with your bits and pieces!

    ReplyDelete
  2. omigosh nann....i absolutely love those HSTs and that delicious flimsy...you have the magic thrift touch my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing weather in the Chicago area for December! Shirtsleeve on Christmas Day! Love your hst quilt, a bonus! Happy New Year!m

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh how I love quilts made of triangles and red.....it couldn't be better!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a GREAT way to make use of those HSTs!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh that is a great backing for your Frolic. Your HST quilt is beautiful - it looks fabulous with the red.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The HST quilt turned out so lovely! The red fabric was perfect for this. Happy Stitching in 2020!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You find the best deals on fabric! I’m in love with your HST quilt, Nann! That’s a lot of work, and it’s the perfect size! Glad you had a nice Christmas! Here’s hoping 2020 is kind to you and yours. XO

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wowser! Was that triangle square quilt finished as fast as it seems to have been? Like boom, another quilt. I need to check some of the thrift shops around here. Maybe I could find some backing fabric too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm impressed with your bargain and your 2 inch hst quilt - great

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great find for the backing for your Frolic quilt. I haven't started it yet, but I am copying all the directions, and will decide later. Thanks for linking with Design Wall Mondays, Judy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your Frolic back will be wonderful and makes an amusing story. Clever you. Every time I see a quilt with a red background I want to make it. Must get busy again and really emphasize the red. Yours is a delight to my heart.
    Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was doing well on Frolic till Bonnie dropped two clues on us this week (and now I'm back at work). Love how you used up those HSTS so quickly. I have a box of left over HSTs and triangles that I want to use up at some point.

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.