Monday, November 11, 2019

Weekly update: the kitchen, BOM reveal, and a new flimsy

 Our house was built in 1972. When the original owners remodeled the kitchen in 1985 they moved the old cabinets  and sink to the basement.  The past couple of weeks that double-basin sink has come in very handy.  I can do meal prep in the bathrooms (his or mine) but those basins are not convenient for washing dishes.

Below, right, shows the Instant Pot and crockpot  on my 44-year-old card table. The microwave is set up in the garage.

The kitchen and dining room walls had been covered in acres and acres and acres of floral wallpaper since 1985. When it was stripped it revealed burnt orange.   That color certainly goes with those dark 70's cabinets!

The contractor says that the new cabinets will be installed this week.

I was lead hostess for the Zion Woman's Club meeting on Tuesday.  I mixed the cake in the bathroom and my next door neighbor let me use her oven to bake it. 

# # # # # # # #

The 14th Corporate Community Spelling Bee was Thursday.  I was on the library team. We came in 2nd (I misspelled "eremetic," a word I had never heard before).  I donated  Scrappy Cedar Trees to the raffle.  [It is gray and brown, not purple.] My friend and colleague Deb was the delighted winner.
In turn, I won a basket with Christmas decor (which I will donate to the AAUW holiday auction) and a basket with beauty supplies AND a gift certificate for a pedicure at my salon.







# # # # # # # # #
On to quilting!

"Honey, Let's Go to Home Depot!" was Joan Cain's humorous presentation about hardware store items for the quilter -- from clips and clamps to magnetic parts bowls (great for pins).  She encourages us to save money on the tools and spend money on good fabric at the local quilt shop. 





The wonky house BOM was revealed.  It was fun to see everyone's fabric choices and colorways. (There was a cat in every window in one quilt; another was embellished with embroidery.)

Each of us who had a BOM quilt or a flimsy was eligible to win prizes.  My number was drawn second -- a $50 Home Depot gift certificate, a pattern, a book, and a fabric panel.

# # # # # # # #

In the studio:   after I played around with arrangements of half-square triangles(see last week's update) I went back to my original idea.  Here's the flimsy, 66 x 75.  Doesn't it sparkle?

The Monday link ups:
Monday Making
Oh Scrap!
Design Wall Monday

P.S.  We woke up to this this morning.











14 comments:

  1. ay caramba! snow??? say it ain't so...but not here thankfully...love your wonky houses reveal...and all those HSTs are--well, scrappy to the max! and nann you are the luckiest gal i know...you always win something!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Home remodeling is a struggle! Yet, you soldiered on. Good for you! Love all the wonky house quilts! Fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We bought our 1953 ranch style house in 1972 and I painted my kitchen burnt orange so I can relate to your find under the wallpaper.

    I have always loved the triangles all in the same orientation and have made several like that. I love yours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope you find time to sew with everything you have happening.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I fear you’ve sent the snow down to us as the rain from this morning has switched over now. Ugh! A laugh from a friend this mornin said “snow” is an acronym foe S... No One Wants! Glad to see the remodel moving along. Looking forward to seeing pictures after.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Nann. I would have been one to paint w burnt orange. But i guess it needed an update.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved this post, Nann, and I’m glad I was able to tap each picture to enlarge them. Your wonky house quilt came out so beautifully! They are all pretty awesome. I’ve saved all my patterns, and now that I’ve seen so many completed, I’m eager to actually get started on my own once I get settled back in Texas and through the holidays. What a clever presentation! Home Depot/Lowe’s , here I come with new eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those BOM house quilts are fabulous. Your kitchen redo will be worth it. I did one many years ago too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So glad your kitchen renovation is moving ahead. There’s nothing like having a clean, new, efficient kitchen. Your HST quilt is lovely (but the thought of squaring them all up makes my brain and arm hurt!). And those darling wonky houses are to die for!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love those wonky houses, especially the three storey one.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yep, we had snow flurries but nothing stuck. The day before it had hit upper 60s or low 70s. All I can say is thank goodness the temps are moderating now. I love those house tops/quilts. I think yours outshines all the others! It's something about the crisp black and white half square triangles. And congratulations on the wins!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hopefully your new kitchen will be wonderful. Aren't you fortunate that the old kitchen parts are in the basement, although it actually sounds like every meal is a progressive dinner.
    I use clips from the hardware store for basting and gardening gloves for machining. It does leave more money for fabric.
    I'm glad you're back to the twinkly HST arrangement. It's my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your half square triangles. What size are you blocks? That is a sure way to use of scraps. You did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You half square triangles are beautiful and what a job that must have been.

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.