Monday, November 4, 2019

Weekly update: auditioning HST settings and aimless piecing

I made 550 black-and-something HSTs (3-1/2" unfinished). The plan was to set them in 25 rows of 22.

The design wall wasn't large enough to hold all of them.

The row-by-row setting is sparkly but I wondered what alternate designs might be.

Spectacular Scraps by Judy Hooworth and Margaret Rolfe is one of my favorite quilt design books. They use the triangle permutations described by French mathematician Dominique Douat -- 256 ways to arrange 8 triangles (or, for quilters:  4 half-square triangles).
I've come up with these so far.  Right now I'm leaning toward the pinwheel (#3, top row) and the big round-upon-round (top right). Or the streak of lightning (bottom #3).  Because the not-black triangles vary from very light to quite dark I think I need a design that emphasizes where the blacks come together.

I will probably consider the options until I am tired of my indecision or I have to put something else on the design wall.

I pulled out the box of black/white/gray scraps. So far I've made some slab blocks, some Ohio Stars, and some 16-patches. It's nice to have some aimless piecing for a change.

Monday linkups:
Oh Scrap!
Design Wall Monday
Monday Making



11 comments:

  1. Thanks for the inspiration. I am currently wrestling with a growing stack of HSTs, trying to decide how to set them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow too much math for me but all the choices are gorgeous...what fun...can't wait to see the finale!

    ReplyDelete
  3. HST's are one of my favorite blocks to play with. The possibilities are endless and I have a feeling you'll be pondering layouts many more times!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! You have been busy! Thanks for the inspiration. I need to tackle some scraps and get to work. I like your two choices and also the Dutchman’s Puzzle.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What I like about your original layout is that the fabric seems to twinkle the most. Perhaps that's because you have the most blocks laid out. I love seeing all the variations you've started and understand how carrying the black will help. What if you arranged some of the blocks so they are color grouped? Would that strengthen your design or not? Oh, what fun you'll have this week. Take lots of photos. {I frequently forget.}

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks like your having a lot of fun auditioning your HST! Love the colors!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is one of my favorite books too and I made several quilts from it many years ago. Maybe it's time to get it out again. I like the pinwheel block.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You can't go wrong with any of those choices. You might have to make more HSTs so you can choose more than one! Or one of each!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You've got lots of beautiful options for those HSTs. Looking foward to seeing what you end up with. Any of them would make for a lot of "wow" factor.

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are all fun. What do you plan to do with all the random blocks you are piecing?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can never get tired of HST quilts. So many possibilities! All of these options are lovely… you might have to make more than one!

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.