Sunday, July 14, 2019

Bargello revival

Abby Glassenberg's blog post this week  reported that Hello Bargello is a Brooklyn-based company that's bringing back bargello.  No, not the strip-pieced variety that quilters know. Rather, the 1970's needlepoint version.


My response was an immediate burst of nostalgia.  I did a lot of needlepoint in the '70's, both "regular" and bargello.  The pattern books showed canvas work made up into everything from upholstery and rugs to vests and neckties (presumably clip on!). Plus tennis racket covers, eyeglass cases, checkbook covers, and drapery tie-backs. And, of course, pillows and more pillows.   I made many pillows!  The most exotic things I made were masks that my boyfriend and I wore to a Mardi Gras party and covers for bookends.






I went right to the needlework (and vintage sewing) shelves in the Deep Stash. 

I read through these books dozens and dozens of times, contemplating what I could make.  I didn't have the art theory/history vocabulary to completely understand the design references by Elsa Williams in Bargello: Florentine Canvas Work or by Pauline Fischer and Anabel Lasker in Bargello Magic.  But, oh, boy, do I remember the patterns -- so much so that when I opened the books this week I remembered that one, and that one, and that one.







I still have Paternayan Persian yarn.  It's high and dry in the Deep Stash (hiding in the corner).
The flat box in the upper right has needlepoint canvas.

.....and, yes, that plaid box that says DMC is full of DMC floss.

If I ever want to take up bargello I can augment this stash easily.  Black Cat Stitchery is just three blocks from my house.

But first I have a quilt or two or three to work on . . . 

1 comment:

  1. My mom did lots of needlepoint. I have a sampler stitch pillow she made. I don't think she ever did bargello, though. Mostly she did the fill in backgrounds for floral chair seats. I saved several of her books, too.

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.