Tuesday, July 9, 2019

Piggy Bank Challenge, 2019




Valerie (d/b/a Val's Quilting Studio) created the Piggybank Challenge.  The idea is to save spare change for a year. At the end of the year you count it, report it, and spend it on something quilty.

I call my version the Change Game.  In the 1970's when I lived in a small city in Texas I noted that I'd get two nickels more often than one dime in change. People paid library fines with nickels but not dimes. I mentioned that to the assistant librarian. She laughed and explained that the German and Czech farmers preferred the heft of nickels.  I began saving all those nickels, rolling them ($2 worth), and putting them in a passbook account.

(Photo from Etsy. This is the papier-mache bank I got in high school and used until the rubber plug crumbled.  The Etsy seller says it's by Fitz & Floyd.)


Some years after that I began emptying my wallet every evening, keeping four quarters and five pennies out and putting the rest into savings.  I recall one bank teller asking if I was a waitress, thinking the coins were tips.  Decades after that I started to save bills:  $1 bills with Federal reserve B and H (my initials) and $5 bills.  Now, those add up! 
This pottery jar is now the change collector

Val's annual challenge means that my Change Game goes from July 1 - June 30.
Here are the 2018-19 totals: 
                               COIN         $50.00
                               CURRENCY   $676.00
                                TOTAL     $726
I don't have a specific quilt-related purchase planned (other than acquiring fabric when DH and I go to Shipshewana next week to meet my quilting friend Sheila and her husband). It's just nice to have a bit tucked away!

And with this post I'm tossing my hat into the ring to participate in the new Piggybank Challenge. Thanks for hosting it, Valerie!

7 comments:

  1. buying more fabric nann? running low are you? ROFL.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG, I could pay for my new Jazz II sewing machine with that kind of savings! I've got to step it up for next year's challenge~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now that is an amazing saving, well done you. I will have to up my game for next year!!! We do exactly the same putting our change into an old sweet jar that came from my Grandma's old sweet shop she used to own. When it is full it has £300 in and we use that for the family to go out for a meal or buy tickets for all of us to go to a show or concert.

    Have fun with your visit. Hugs, Susie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hum, lovely concept but my DH is always turning to me and saying, "Do you have a nickel" or "got 4 pennies?" The man uses all his change as often as he can. I have a small stash of coins but probably won't join this challenge. Although it does sound fun. But more fabric? EEEK -- I'm trying to use up what I have and what I've been given. Although I need a backing for a couple of nice quilts.... maybe a sale...

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a clever idea to save the bills with your initials.

    ReplyDelete
  6. YOur savings method works for you!!!! I'm so glad you enjoyed the challenge. I ended up with $105.00 worth of change....so I'll be getting those sewing room shelves built! YEAH!!! Enjoy time meeting up with your quiltly friend!! Thanks for participating Nann:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. $726??? Wow!!! I am a credit card gal through and through. It is rare to find cash on me. Moreover I buy fabric all year round (so uncontrolled). Just bought something from Bluprint/Craftsy because I had a 60% coupon :-D

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.