Sunday, July 14, 2019

Weekly update: Hamilton, flowers, and a finish

We went downtown on Wednesday to see the matinee performance of Hamilton.  It was terrific!  (It was also a test to see if Stevens could get on/off the train and to the theater (we took a cab).  The logistics worked out fine and based on that success we have tickets for a matinee for The Music Man, also downtown, next month.)









The weather Saturday was perfect for the Illinois Dunesland Garden Club's annual tour.   It begins at the library where they hand out maps to the sites -- this year, four in Zion and two in Winthrop Harbor.

We saw many friends (the center of the left collage is Stevens with one of them).


The tour is free but there is an array of raffle prizes.  I bought $40 worth of tickets and won four $5 restaurant gift cards and a big rose bush.






# # # # # # # # # # # #




In the studio:  I am procrastinating (severely) on the guild challenge but I had to sew something.
That something turned out to be quilting Piked Peaks, the flimsy I showed last week.  The backing is a thrift-shop sheet.  I assure you the insert strip was straight when I basted it.

Top: 5 yards
Backing/binding: 4 yards




The week ahead is nearly meeting-free due to a change in plans.  Maybe I can make inroads on that challenge quilt!

Linking up with
Oh Scrap!
 Monday Making
Design Wall Monday

10 comments:

  1. We are going to see Hamilton (matinee) next Saturday - our DIL and elder son saw it this afternoon and said it was wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on getting to see Hamilton. I'd love to but I'm not willing to drive to DC to see it. Too much traffic. Sigh. I hate it when backings migrate. Or do you think it stretched? I've started basting the entire quilt on my frame when I start a new quilt. I used to baste the available space and then quilt, roll forward, baste etc. But I had major creeping with big quilts. So now I baste the entire quilt first. It helps keeps the backing where I want it to be. Maybe that's why I like doing smaller quilts... not so much to do to get them ready to quilt! Have a good week with lots of creativity hitting you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hamilton was the best show I've seen in years - exciting and innovative. I'm glad you saw it and have The Music Man next. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the varied light fabrics in this quilt.

    I'm so happy you changed to popup window for your comments because now my google account name is recognized.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Piked Peaks is a beautiful and a fabulous finish. As far as the backing is concerned, let's just say that fabric has a mind of its own. I will say this to the fabric - Oh you think you can ruin my day with shifting and moving? Wait till I get my rotary cutter and new blades :-)
    I am glad (and jealous) that you got to see Hamilton. I'll wait a few years till the tickets get a bit more reasonable.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on winning something. Your quilt is beautiful, it looks vintage.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your challenge quilt looks fantastic -- you can do it! We saw Hamilton when they were in Charlotte and were a little disappointed with our experience. I wished I had listened to the soundtrack or at least read through the lyrics first because so much character and plot are carried through the songs in a musical, and the rap lyrics went by so quickly that we missed most of the words. Friends and family I talked to afterwards who loved the show had all familiarized themselves with the music/lyrics ahead of time. Could have been that we were in a bad spot in the theatre accoustics-wise, too, because I wasn't able to get tickets where I normally would have chosen. Who knows. But I loved the concept of the show, the sets and costumes and the fresh new way that the story of our nation's birth was told -- "Hamilton" the musical reclaims the story and reminds us that those founding fathers came from all different backgrounds and walks of life. Every American can see themselves in that story, you know what I mean? Enjoy Music Man!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You keep so active and do so many fun things. Love how you embrace life! Your quilt looks pretty awesome! Good luck with your challenge quilt! You can do it!

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.