Monday, June 3, 2019

Weekly update: it's June! Stash report, a flimsy, and OMG


I included quilt shops on my trip to Peoria (see previous post). Quilt Corner is in Morton, just east of Peoria. It is not open on Sunday so I planned my trip to stop there prior to the convention.
Peddlers Way  in Washington is open on Sunday and I thought I'd go there on my way home. However, I had a window of free time between events on Friday so I zipped over.

I sought two particular fabrics: gold tone-on-tone batik [see it on the right?] and red-on-red for the Christmas stars. (Yes, I have lots and lots of red fabric but not enough of any one red-on-red for this project.)   I found what I needed and bought more that I wanted!

 P.E.O.'s flower is the marguerite, or daisy. It was fitting that I buy daisy prints during P.E.O. convention weekend.

Usually when I drive to and from a meeting in central Illinois I am in a hurry and I don't stop.  On Sunday afternoon I pulled off at Dwight ("the first stoplight from Chicago" on old U.S. 66) to see the Oughton Windmill.






The Prairie Creek District Library is in the carriage house adjacent to the windmill.


A few miles north of Dwight I pulled off again.   I've seen the sign -- and the building -- for  Countryside Village for years.  It's 2/3 gifts (made-in-China, mostly) and candles, jams/jellies, etc., and 1/3 quilting with a great selection.  Two one-yard pieces from the 50%-off section and more daisies.

Mind you, the Countryside Village purchases were in June so they don't count for the stash report. 

I ended the month with a burst of stash enhancement.  In addition to the Peoria-area purchaes, last week I stopped at Salvation Army and bought cotton sheets (twin flat and fitted), white with black stylized flowers -- 8 yards for $3.20.  I was surprised to find out that I'm still ahead in use-vs.-acquisition.


Fabric OUT, May:  62-1/8  (that included 26 yards for the lap quilt project I mentioned last week)
Fabric IN, May: 81 yards, $423  (average $5.18/yard)
Fabric OUT, year-to-date:  238-1/8
Fabric IN, year-to-date: 220-1/8, $893 (average $4.05/yard)
Net reduction: 18 yards



I put the gold batik from Peddler's Way to use last evening.  The batik slab blocks are 9-1/2" unfinished. The flimsy is 59 x 62.  (3-1/8 yards used).














It's time to declare my One Monthly Goal for June.   Absent any particular deadlines, I've decided I will do two RSC months in one.  June is dark blue.  Angela said that light blue will come later.  I'm going to make both dark and light blue pinwheel blocks this month.  I already have the fabric cut (not just the blues but also pink, purple, and black which are the remaining colors). 

Linking up with One Monthly Goal
Design Wall Monday
Monday Making
Oh Scrap!
Moving It Forward

3 comments:

  1. I'm thinking to do both colors for some of my projects this month, as long as I have the box out ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good goal. Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and good luck with your project.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great new fabric. But I'm in awe of how much fabric you use each month. I haven't even thought of the Rainbow color challenge yet. Busy weekend. Good luck with your goal. I need to figure that out soon!

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.