Monday, June 10, 2019

Weekend wildflowers

 I went to  the north unit of  Illinois Beach State Park on Saturday afternoon. My quest:  flags (wild iris).  They differ from hybrid iris in that they grow at water's edge. They come in purple/blue and yellow.   I got a distance photo (see the upper right in the collage).  I also found other wildflowers -- a hybrid iris at the shoreline (how'd that get there?!), phlox, lupine, coreopsis, fringed puccoon, shooting star -- and a mushroom.
















When I was driving out of the park I saw a superb stand of yellow flags on the edge of Sand Pond.

It turns out that the yellow variety is an invasive species   The blue ones are native.














2 comments:

  1. Such a sweet flower, the iris! I wish they lasted longer in the season.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful flowers. I didn't know about "flags"; I just call them wild iris ... or maybe that's something else altogether different ...

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.