Monday, June 3, 2019

Weekly update: P.E.O. convention 2019

 The 117th convention of the Illinois State Chapter of P.E.O. was held at the Pere Marquette  Hotel in Peoria.

There were 353 "members of convention" -- local chapter delegates (like me), state officers, past state presidents, and committee chairs.  There were 633 visitors (mostly P.E.Os. but also family members).






Friday afternoon: The weather was sunny and not too hot for a brisk walk down to the riverfront. It was a great way to meet other sisters.

I didn't arrange for a roommate so one was assigned. I'd never met Vicki. She's president of a chapter in Moline. It was her first convention.  We got along splendidly....the fact that she's a quilter had something to do with it!






Friday evening's Time of Remembrance included a harpist who plucked a note for each name read during the necrology service.

Saturday morning's business meeting went expeditously.

The Honors Luncheon celebrated 50, 55, 60, 65, 70, 75 year members -- and there is one 80-year member in Illinois. (That means she is at least 98. She did not attend. :))  But my chapter sister Lenee's mom Katie was there to be honored as a "golden girl."

The afternoon workshops were serious (chapter leadership and officer training) and fun.
Lynn Rymarz and Christine Price portrayed Franc Roads Elliott  and Lulu Corkhill Williams in 1919, meeting at Marshall Field's and recalling the early days of P.E.O. (I saw Lynn in the role of Mary Cassatt just a week ago.)

The Projects Dinner celebrates our philanthropies.

Illinois P.E.O.s gave nearly $700,000 to the International and state projects in 2018-19.  200+ candidates proposed by Illinois chapters received grants, scholarships, or loans. Clare Happel Ashe is a P.E.O. Scholar recipient getting a PhD. in harp performance. She played for us.  (And I had a good sight line from our table in the front corner, where I happened to sit next to another quilter!)

Because we took care of the proposed amendments at Saturday's session, the Sunday morning business meeting was ceremonial:  installation of officers, recognition of the outgoing president, and the announcement of the 2019-20 theme.  The final gavel was at 11:30 and it was time to head home.


I've gotten to know many Illinois P.E.O.s because of my involvement with the Lake County Round Table and my participation on state committees.  My new appointment is  the P.E.O. Home Fund committee.

Virginia (left) is in the Springfield AAUW branch and Sue (center) is an Alpha Gamma Delta sister.






Jane was in the Waukegan AAUW branch for many years.  She retired to Galena and is now a P.E.O. I hadn't seen her since she moved.










Stacy and I are from the same home town.  When she lived close by she and I carpooled to P.E.O. meetings.  Now she lives in another suburb and belongs to another chapter.








From the state archives.  The names on the plate are that chapter's members. The other plate came in three sizes (so read the sign) and was sold as a fundraiser. (Both are hand-painted.)


 . . . . and of course I found fabric.  Read the next post to find out!



No comments:

Post a Comment

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.