Monday, March 4, 2019

Weekly update: WHM19, RSC, BOM, Lotto, and a new scrappy flimsy

The Lake County Women's Coalition celebrated Women's History Month on Saturday. Honorees were "visionary women of Lake County."  AAUW honored Ethel Untermyer, who began the Lake County Forest Preserve District.  Zion Woman's Club honored Olive Lind who began Zion-Benton Children's Services.   Jessica Michna portrayed Golda Meir.

I donated Bow Ties to the silent auction and two tote bags with books to the raffle. Ethel's daughter was the high bidder for the quilt.  I bought $40 in raffle tickets and won three gift cards (total $100) and a ceramic bird bath.

LCWC has a scholarship fund at the College of Lake County for women who are "returning to learning." This year two women received scholarships.


# # # # # # # #





Back home: 

GREEN is the RSC color this month. Here are 31 green-and-gray/taupe pinwheels.  (I'm simplifying my RSC in 2019 and making 6.5" pinwheels, one for each day, in the monthly color.)













Here is this month's wonky house for the guild BOM.


I volunteered to design this month's Block Lotto. I chose Wings of Spring. It's 6-1/2" unf.  Here are my nine entries.




A few months ago I began sewing odd scraps into blocks. I got out the scrap box again and kept going. until I made 30 9.5" blocks.  I put them on the design wall. A lovely purple print (Painters Canvas by Michael Miller, one of my bargains last fall) seemed just right. 













As I considered the straight setting I thought it would need cornerstones and I didn't want to fiddle with making 42 of them.  Here's what happened instead.  The flimsy is 54 x 81 and used 5-1/4 yds. (by weight). 


Linking up with So Scrappy
Oh Scrap!
Design Wall Monday
Monday Making
Moving It Forward

10 comments:

  1. Just happened to find your blog. YEAH a fellow quilter and librarian! I worked first in a public library, then all school libraries for a few years, 25 yes as academic faculty librarian and since I retired I help out in a Catholic elementary school cataloging and telling stories. Reading and quilting are my 2 main occupations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gardenwitch, you're a no-reply blogger so I don't know if you will read this message. Come join fellow librarian quilters (or quilting librarians) on ALA Biblioquilters. We collaborate on quilts for the scholarship auction at the ALA Annual Conference. (Click on the ALA Bibliquilters label on the side bar to see more.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. scholarships for women returning to learning??? that is awesome! beautiful quilts as always nann....love your blog for oodles of inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your Crumb quilt turned out great, Nann! Looking forward to seeing what will become of your "simplified" RSC Pinwheels project. One per day doesn't sound exactly simple to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I make a month's worth at a sitting. I'd drive myself crazy if I did precisely one each day.

      Delete
  5. Every project looks wonderful. Love your use of color in all!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wings of Spring looks like a fun block. Reminds me of windmills or pinwheels. The house block is adorable too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on a successful auction. What a good way to support women in your area.
    Wings of Spring is just what we need right now. So cold everywhere. And the purple is lovely on your top.

    ReplyDelete
  8. congrats on the auction and what a cute liberated or wonky house.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations on the auction, both your own success and the great job it is doing more generally in supporting women. Your Wings of Spring looks like pairs of butterflies - very pretty - and I like that beautiful purple paired up with all your scrap blocks a lot too.

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.