Monday, March 11, 2019

Weekly update: meetings galore and vintage treasures

The first week of the month is always meeting-filled -- P.E.O., Zion Woman's Club, Friends of the Library, quilt guild -- plus Rotary (every week).
Thursday noon I had an  AAUW Gender Equity Fund committee meeting at the restaurant at Nordstrom's at Woodfield Mall.  It had been a long time since I'd been to a department store.
 On Thursday evening I went to a candidate forum for contested Zion commissioner and mayoral races (election April 2).
Friday was the P.E.O.bimonthly round table meeting.
 Saturday began with the annual Kiwanis pancake breakfast. We went early (7:15) because I had to get to the AAUW general meeting by 9:00 to set up the AV for the speaker.  She was excellent  the first openly transgender public school teacher in the U.S., who finished the 1997-98 school year as Mr. and returned in the fall as Ms.  (She told us how she told her then-wife, her kids, her parents, the school administration, and her colleagues. Different reactions, in the end supportive.) One of her three children is also transgender. (Among the things we learned was that "transgender" is an adjective and not a verb.)   It was also Rotary's annual spaghetti dinner delivery -- lunchtime, that is -- to elderly and homebound. My husband was able to take some of them but I got home to help him finish.
Saturday night was the  time change that everyone moans about. 
Sunday afternoon was the next in the Lake County Community Concert Assn. series -- Vox Fortura .  They were terrific!!




 Valli Schiller gave a humorous talk at the quilt guild meeting:  "A Guide to the Quilter's Natural Habitat." She showed photos of quilters' studios -- quite a variety! -- and brought a selection of her bright scrappy quilts.
















I had limited time to sew, obviously. I corrected the corners on Good Fortune, pieced the back,  and took it to Barb, the LAQ, on Friday after P.E.O. round table.  [Doing all this is my OMG for March.  Glad to have it done!]

I assembled the Jeweled Windows blocks and pieced the back. It's now under the needle.




On my way home from the AAUW meeting I stopped at an estate sale.  Half-price day!   I paid $9.00 for all of these treasures.


All-cotton rick rack. Note the top packages are 6 yds. for fifteen cents. The bottom package has a different label design and is 5 yds for fifteen cents.  (And the cardboard for the brown rickrack is longer.)






This unused linen towel is signed: Lois Long.
I didn't know this designer.  As a result of reading this post I do now!

Similar towels are on Etsy for $20 +.  I think I'll keep this.  


The real treasure was in a battered box that originally contained a man's shirt (from Sears).

All the pieces for a Double Wedding Ring, cut and sorted.

The white arcs and melons are foxed (=stained) but the segments are okay.

Now that I've shown you the photo I will remove the sharp pins (the cashier stabbed herself as she checked out my purchases) and put the segments in ziploc bags.














Be careful of old pins! They may be corroded.

Monday link ups:
Monday Making
Design Wall Monday
Oh, Scrap!
Moving It Forward








5 comments:

  1. OMG -- I received quilt pieces with pins stabbed through them too. It must have been a thing. I love that you rescued that unfinished quilt. Are you going to finish it? Just the fabric alone is amazing. Lucky you that the quilter seems to have cut out all the pieces. What great finds. Do you plan to use the rick rack or is it for a collection? I have several packages from my grandmother's house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Plans for the rickrack? I see some in Ms Schiller’s quilt! Lucky you with thDoubleWedding Ring pieces. Are they accurately cut? Are you going to put it together? That was my first quilt, still unfinished!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so busy with meetings and ways to improve your community. I'm always impressed with your estate sale finds. And the quilts! Wish I'd been at that meeting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh what fun!! Your certainly got a box full of oodles of goodies! Guess you'll be piecing a Double Wedding Ring quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You got some good stuff! I love thrift shopping.

    ReplyDelete

I have turned on comment moderation so be patient if you don't see it right away. If you are no-reply or anonymous I will not reply.